Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Temporary Freeze After Waking Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

Hi,

For a while I've had a problem with my computer freezing for about 4 minutes after I wake it from a power saving state. I can't remember what the power saving state is called but the fans switch off, the hard drives power down, the monitors go in to power save mode, and the only sign of the computer not being completely off is the power LED blinks. After I press a key on the keyboard to wake the computer the monitors come out of power save mode, I think there is a little bit of hard drive activitiy, but then the computer freezes like it is waiting for something. When it freezes sometimes the Windows password prompt is shown on the screen with a frozen mouse cursor, other times the screen is black with a mouse cursor that doesn't move, or the screen is just black with no mouse cursor. The keyboard is locked-up, too. Pressing Num Lock and Caps Lock doesn't register and looks like there is no hard drive activity. Then after about 2 or 3 minutes the monitor goes back in to power save mode. That may be the result of me setting the monitor to switch off after 1 min and setting the computer to sleep after 2 min so that I could quickly get some info from Event Viewer about this and test if any changes I made helped the computer wake from sleep. Eventually after about 4 min if I touch the keyboard or mouse again the monitors will power on and I can enter my user account's password and go back to the Windows desktop. Sometimes, but not always, when I arrive at the desktop I see an error message telling me Media Player Network Service didn't start.

Recently, I tried some things hoping they would fix my computer's problem. I reset the BIOS back to defaults. Or, at least used as many defaults as possible and still be able to boot in to Windows. I ran Microsoft's Fix It for power issues. It just complained about the hibernation file being too small and something about a setting for when running off a battery. Actually the hibernation file's size was 75% of total RAM which should be ok according to Microsoft. I set it to 100% just to go along with what the program recommended. This is a desktop computer. I let the program fix the battery power setting issue and then reran the program and it still found the same battery power setting issue. I don't know if that's a problem or not.

In Event Viewer I made a custom view showing Critical, Warning, and Error event levels from the time Windows booted until the computer went in to power save mode, and until the computer completely woke from power save, and I saved the events as an .evtx file. [attachment=141904:wakeupissue.zip] I think you can open it in Event Viewer on your computer and browse the events. However, there are some other errors and warnings in there that probably aren't related to the problem of my computer freezing durring wake up. The Media Player Network Service error isn't in the event log that I attached but it metions something about blackbox.dll.

Mainly, I'm interested in fixing the problem with the werid freeze after waking the computer. However, if you notice some other issue in the Event Viewer log that you can help me with then let me know. I plan to work on the other issues later. I'll provide more info about my computer's hardware if you want me to.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Windont

Windont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:24 AM

After trying a variety of things I have concluded that BIOS 3203 and later released BIOSes for my motherboard seem to have trouble with coming out of sleep mode. I remember using a BIOS version earlier than 3203 and Windows didn't have problems with sleep mode. I don't know what's different in those later BIOSes. Oddly the version numbers skipped from 1101 to 3203. I doubt I'll find a solution for my computer's weird slow wake-up.

#3 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

Have had a similar problem since August. Freezing when coming out of sleep mode or after a full shutdown, 6hrs cool down and restart.From approx. Sept 1 to late October I left the computer on continuously, No sleep or shut down. Everything was fine.

I suspected some component was failing as the system warmed up.Full Dell warranty. Dell sent a new video card because I was getting a BCC code 124.. Seemed OK for a few days then Froze. Unfortunately the freezes do not produce a usable event code.Dell tech updated video drivers Thursday.

Switched off the monitor Friday afternoon. Turned it on Saturday morning. All froze up with a video static. ( Start page icons were all distorted). Went out a bought a new battery backup/ surge protector.Ok so far. I have no clue what this thing is doing.

Have lost confidence in Win 7. Went out and bought an IMAC in late August. Transferred business info. to that. When Dell is finally fixed I will give it to my wife. 

Good Luck!

Best Regards

Nawtheasta

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#5 Windont

Windont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

Hi,

hamluis, I would've used MiniToolBox to get the info you asked for but things have changed.

Been a while since I checked this thread. I'll post an update in case anybody is wondering what happened. 

I RAM'ed my P8Z68-V Pro (not Gen3) board to ASUS. They repaired and returned the board to me. Now my computer doesn't freeze when it wakes up but now there are new problems, The motherboard won't overclock- not even manually. Also, the option to enable support for virtual graphics is missing from the BIOS and virtual graphics isn't supported. I wasn't using Lucid Logix Virtu (requires virtual graphics to be enabled) to switch between integrated and discrete graphics. Instead, I found that when support for virtual graphics is enabled in the BIOS and the Lucid Logix software wasn't installed then I could connect one monitor to the integrated graphics port and another to a graphics card port and have dual screens in Windows. After I discovered these two new problems I called ASUS support and asked what they did to the motherboard. Oddly, I didn't get a clear answer. My guess is that the person on the phone either didn't know or wasn't permitted to tell me. ASUS support suggested I RMA the board again. I'm not confident my board will be fixed and I don't want to not have a computer so I didn't do that. Actually, this motherboard always had one annoying problem or another. I plan to get a different motherboard.

Edited by Windont, 04 April 2014 - 07:13 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

Feedback appreciated :), thanks.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users