Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

removing old computer components

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 computerdownhouse

computerdownhouse

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

Hi everybody. My first post here.

I have several old computers - everything from 386 to Pentium III and a HP Pavilion 6535.

I no longer have space to store them and so will be getting rid of them.

I want to strip out the components worth saving.

I 'm keeping the hard & floppy drives and the DVD/CD-Rom drives. The batteries - most of them still keep excellent time. IDE cables and removable power cables.

What about the following for the Pentium 1 and up?

PSU (power supply unit)
fans
mother boards
video card
sound card

anything else?

(I know that these components in the 386/486 aren't worth saving. Or are they?)

If you're scratching your head wondering why I think a Pentium 1 component may be worth keeping, it's because I'm using a Pentium 1 (Windows NT 4.0) for non-internet use. Would be perfect if not for the paltry 2GB hard drive.

One final question: how does HP Pavilion 6535 compare to the Pentium 1? I have searched on the internet, but can't find the year the HP was released. I will say this, though - the hdd is in an upright position and everything is jammed together to make it impossible to remove and insert cables, power supply cords, etc. Several times I wanted to take this particular computer out onto the street and smash it apart.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_RoutaSielu_*

Guest_RoutaSielu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:40 PM

Hi computerdownhouse :welcome:

Those are quite old machines you have! I say, if it still works and you can make good use of it then no problem. As for saving old components, you will most likely find those components are not worth very much and not many want or need them. I recently stripped out my old Compaq Deskpro 5133 and have no idea what to do with the remaining components. I've got a 133MHz Pentium CPU and 6 sticks of EDO RAM and 1MB VRAM expansion card.. most likely I'll post them on eBay and just sell them for whatever I can get. Otherwise I'll just donate to anyone who can use them.

Hard drives and floppy drives can be useful if they are still in good working condition, though, I don't think many people use floppy any longer. Fans can always be useful if they are still working and have the right connector. Video cards and sound cards can definitely be re-used if they are working and able to fit another motherboard. Older ones that are ISA type maybe no good, but PCI and AGP can still be quite good. Motherboards usually are best to replace unless there is a specific use for the older one.

As for your HP Pavilion 6535 it looks to have a Celeron 466MHz. Compared to a Pentium 1, that maybe depends who you ask or what the intended purpose of the computer. I've always preferred Pentiums over Celerons, but I always go for highest performance anyway :grinner:

Most HP machines (and eMachine, some Dell too) often use too small case and stuff too much hardware in. You just have to be careful and a bit patient when trying to disassemble (and reassemble) those systems.

Found these when I searched for HP Pavilion 6535 in google:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=59370

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph05116

Sometimes those systems can be upgraded very easily and for cheap to get better performance without having to replace the whole thing. I've got an eMachine T1742 that the motherboard died. I just changed the motherboard, CPU, RAM and hard drive and it's at double performance for only about $75-$85 total, bought all used on eBay.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

Just general opinions, I could be wrong.

The market for really old stuff from the P1/PII days is really, really dead.  I had a couple of clients that had old school systems like that in diagnostic equipment (industrial/automotive) embedded systems.  As of a year ago, the last one let go and is no more.  16-17 years is enough.

There is a SLIGHT market for older workstation parts.  There are some outfits running ancient systems that are not connected to the internet.  Hardware dies.  It is a major hassle to upgrade sometimes as maybe nothing is supported by a modern OS, or it might even be an OS2/Warp system with very limited driver support.  You just have to realize the instances of this are rare, and becoming increasingly rare.  Sometimes you can offload a motherboard,  or some old EDO or 72 pin memory, but again, not a lot of demand, and not a lot of money involved.

Easiest thing to do is first, make sure it works, then pull it down and get all of the part numbers, then look up those part numbers to see what the market price is. Start with Ebay.

Other components, drives, floppies, IDE optical drives- you might hang onto a few optical drives, and a couple of floppies, couple of PCI and AGP video cards.  Oh, SCSI controllers, keep them, you never know.  Otherwise, they are trash, or really good targets.  I have a box of about 40 working optical drives, and hundreds of those little pin jumpers.

If you have storage space, keep the motherbooards (write down the BIOS revision on them somewhere if they can boot), a few optical drives, couple floppies, and memory.  Keep some cables.   Everything else in the trash.

Edited by dpunisher, 17 September 2013 - 09:13 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users