Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Problem HP xw6400 Workstation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dreamspinner3

Dreamspinner3

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

My husband has a HP xw6400 Workstation running Windows 7 Home Premium. Last night, the when powering up the PC, it posted this error message:

HP Ethernet boot agent v 8.3.9

928 Non-fatal uncorrectable FBD error on DIMM in mother slot XMM2

M13 Err non-retry on redundant retry FDD memory alert on redundant set timeout

M21 Err motherboard CRC error on FBD sync status (slightly #48)

If you hit f1, the machine will continue to boot into Windows 7 & appears to work fine. The machine has 8GB RAM, a 250GB hard drive for the C drive, a 2TB hard drive I installed for storage, a PCI soundcard I install from my husband's old PC. This error message appeared AFTER I installed the sound card & 2nd hard drive.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong & how I can fix it?

Thanks! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

I'd think it's a possible weakening CMOS battery.

When the CMOS battery begins to die...net affect on the system can vary...various error messages may appear, all relating to hardware...system clock may need resetting...BIOS can defautl to network boot whereby O/S was installed by manufacturer.

The CMOS battery is a $5 item, available just about anywhere selling electronic/computer batteries (Walmart, KMart, etc.).

I would try replacing the current one.

Louis

#3 Dreamspinner3

Dreamspinner3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

I'll try that.  I reseated all of the memory chips & now his machine is giving us a different error message.  When my husband tried to bring it out of sleep mode, instead of booting into Windows 7, the machine refused to boot up.  A red light began blinking on the front of the machine & it beeped four times, then paused, then beeped again.  Not sure what that means.  

You can find the complete machine profile here: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ouIxblU14Rjj6r5FGf4BEP1

The previous owner said he'd never had a problem with the machine.  Since buying it from him, I added a PCI sound card that was in my husband's old PC & a brand new 2TB hard drive which I installed.  The previous owner said he thought I should try reseating the memory chips and, if that didn't work, to remove the sound card.

The original error message had not reappeared since I reseated the memory chips.

Any help is appreciated.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:40 PM

4 beeps is system timer failure...

I agree with Hamluis, probably need a new CMOS battery. Good call.

#5 Dreamspinner3

Dreamspinner3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:41 AM

4 beeps is system timer failure...

I agree with Hamluis, probably need a new CMOS battery. Good call.

That will be the next thing I try then, replacing the battery.  Is it okay to just remove it from the motherboard to take with me to the store so that I can get a new one?

Thanks!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

Yes, although it's pretty standard.

CR2032 is the one you want, about the size of a dime but thicker.

Look at how the battery sits (s/b plus-side-up, I think) before removing it.

Louis

#7 Dreamspinner3

Dreamspinner3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

Since shutting off the sleep/hibernation mode, the computer has been working fine.  It boots up & shuts down properly & we are no longer getting any error messages or other issues with it.  Should it start acting up again, the next step I will take it to remove the sound card & see how it runs.  If continues to have problems, then I'll remove the secondary hard drive that I installed.  I'll try putting in a new battery.  It seems that, for now, the problem is solved.

Thanks!

Kim

#8 Dreamspinner3

Dreamspinner3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

One thing: in the trouble shooting manual I found for this machine online, four beeps indicates a power supply problem.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

BIOS beep code definitions.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users