Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Internet Security won't remove!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mrmatt

mrmatt

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hello, I am hoping someone will be able to help me......

Our computer has Windows 7, 64-bit, it is a Packard Bell iMedia s3810.

When the computer was bought, amongst the bloatware/crapware that came pre-installed was Norton Internet Security (18.0.0.128).  We do not want this software; at the moment we get by with the Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials.  We are not connected to any kind of network, only the one that enables us access to the internet viz our broadband provider.

The problem I have is as follows:  I have tried many versions of Appremover, including the one that was released in the last few days, and of the course the most recent version of the Norton Removal Tool.  

As in the past, when the NRT has been run, the system has restarted and Norton has gone, but then in Device Manager we get a Code 19 error, and something along the lines of the device(s) could not connect, and registry errors.  For your information, C is the main hard drive, D is a system reserved area, E is usually reserved for CD/DVD playback.

It is G:, H:, I: and J: that are definitely the problematic ones.  As far as I know, these take care of the following ports (used for card readings: xD, CF, SD/MMC, HS/HS Pro), but that is it really.  It is only when the Norton Removal Tool is completed following a re-boot that these problems are reported, although this can be rectified with a System Restore, but obviously NIS remains then.

Would someone please be able to offer some helpful advice, so that this Norton Internet Security Suite would be begone forever?

Many thanks, and best regards.

Matt Jones.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

Have you tried to use Revo uninstaller to see if it will erase Norton for you? I've had very good success using it and it cleaning out all the leftover registry keys and folders. Also another program to try is Comodo program manager.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 Korkel

Korkel

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/norton-removal-tool/

Use that to remove Norton.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

Mrmatt posted, I have tried many versions of Appremover, including the one that was released in the last few days, and of the course the most recent version of the Norton Removal Tool.

The latest Norton removal tool is what Bleeping Computer offers in the download.  It looks like this has already been tried. :thumbup2:  

Edited by dc3, 16 September 2013 - 03:04 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mrmatt

mrmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

It has been tried, you are right.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

Hi -

I can only post the latest given details from Norton / Symantec forum -

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security, Norton 360, and Norton SystemWorks from your computer. If you use ACT! or WinFax, back up those databases before you proceed.
First - Uninstall from Programs and Features
Next - Download the Norton Removal Tool.
Important - Save the file to the Windows desktop.
On the Windows desktop, double-click the Norton Removal Tool icon.
NOTE - Windows 7 & 8 users must Right click and select "Run as Administrator"
Follow any on-screen instructions.
Finally - Restart your computer. < Very important

Link to latest version of Removal tool - Norton Removal Tool

NOTES - Always remove from Programs and Features first

Save to desktop, and Right click, and select "Run as Administrator" or it will not work

Good Luck -

#7 mrmatt

mrmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:30 PM

Unfortunately, I have tried Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel but with no success.

Something is obviously broken somewhere as the program still remains, via that method.

I have read something somewhere regarding the G, H, I & J ports, that with Code 19 errors it is something to do with the upper and lower registry entries (????).

Maybe I am better off posting on the Symantec/Norton forum, I had not thought of that.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:44 AM

Norton Community : Norton Users Discussion Forum ... < Here is a direct link for you.

Please post back and tell us how you went   :wizardball:

Thank You -

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

You can also contact:
Norton (Symantec) Live Chat Support
Norton (Symantec) Phone Support
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:18 AM

I ran into that recently, the owner went through pretty much what you did.  What worked in my case was to reinstall Norton then use the Norton removal tool, I think that once the program is patially uninstalled it takes out Nortons unuinstaller.  That makes it near impossible to remove without a reinstall.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

Yes, sometimes reinstalling a program (not limited to just Norton), then attempting to remove it again works.

Another program removal method often overlooked is to launch the original setup.exe file used for installation. Some vendors use the setup file to offer options to repair, modify or uninstall as a separate choice from installation. I don't believe Norton does this but thought I would mention it so folks are aware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users