Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

network discovery and file sharing won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wlee_home

wlee_home

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

All of a sudden my windows 7 machine that I have my external hard drive connected to can't see or be seen by any of my other 3 computers.  When I look at the network the info panel pops and says network discovery and file sharing is turned off.  When I click on it to turn it on it won't turn on.  I've been to tons of sites and turned on various services but nothing helps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

Have you rebooted the computer after turning the services on? What services did you turn on? Just to verify the correct ones that need to be turned on.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 wlee_home

wlee_home
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

Have you rebooted the computer after turning the services on? What services did you turn on? Just to verify the correct ones that need to be turned on.

Chris I have rebooted many times.  Don't remember all the services I've looked at maybe you could just tell me what services I need to have on.  I'm pretty sure all the services are on.  I think it is a firewall issue.  THX for any help.

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:00 PM

Launch Windows firewall with advanced security. On the right hand side you'll see "Restore Default Policy." Click this and reset the firewall policies. This has been known to cause problems with Network Discovery.

*NOTE*

This will erase any policy that you have defined for any incoming/outgoing rules. Just a FYI.

If this doesn't fix the issue, when I get back in my office tomorrow, I'll give you the list of services. From my memory though, I do know that SSDP Discovery and UPNP Device Host need to be running.

Edited by chrisd87, 16 September 2013 - 08:01 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users