Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 phlipsidez

phlipsidez

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:49 PM

Hello,

I am having a problem reformatting with XP on one of my computers. I started reformatting fine but 8% into the reformat I get a blue screen saying Windows has stopped the operation to keep from damaging the comp. It says DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS (stop code 0X000000CE). So it makes me restart and I try again. This time after hanging at 8% for awhile it jumps to 50% then finishes then says "Setup was unabel to format the partition. the disk may be damaged." How could this happen? How can I fix this? Do I need a new HD?

This sucks. Someone help please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:11 AM

Download and burn an image to CD of Digtal Dolly. It does not need and OS to function since it boots to a RedHat Linux GUI. Select the S.MA.R.T. Drive test. This will anylis the hard drive for errors. If you do not find errors I would recommend you do a Quick Drive wipe. This will destroy any malious software that may be left on the drive. MicroSoft Recommendations. While the wipe they are referring to is a format, I believe a true "Wipe" only adds to the security and effectiveness of the installation on a older computer. I have "Quick Wipe" every fresh install since 2002.
Just my thoghts.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 phlipsidez

phlipsidez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for the advice, I will try that tonight. What happens if there are errors? Does that mean I need a new HD?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:40 AM

If it fails the smart drive test and the drive was manufactured to have SMART capability then you probably need a new drive.

If a complete wipe and reformat for XP doesn't correct the problem a new drive is probably in order.

Why were you reformatting and reinstalling XP in the first place? What problems were you having?

#5 phlipsidez

phlipsidez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:22 AM

Well at first it didn't seem like a big deal but then it kept getting worse. It started with some popups and I eventually got rid of those (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic49687.html) Had some other problems which eventually were resolved too. Then the computer started to not load programs, lock up, stall out, hang, whatever you want to call it. Then it started saying that there were disk problems when starting up before loading XP. So I backed up files (which took forever considering that the comp was hanging and stalling out) and attempted reformatting which I've described above.

Another suspicious thing that was happening was that Norton Systemworks kept trying to install itself even though it was already installed. The installer kept looking for a file that I didn't have so I would always cancel the install a million times and eventually it would get to the Norton menu screen. (I'm pretty sure it was an install and not some kind of update) I think this might have been part of the problem that I was havnig with the computer hanging up and I followed this problem via the "send error report" thing that Windows does and found some kind of error in a Norton file. The Microsoft instructions that I was following ended kind of vaguely without a solution. I'm not sure of the details but I will try to find that page.

Hope this helps...

#6 phlipsidez

phlipsidez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:44 AM

From what I can remember after I sent the error report it pointed me to some MS instructions that told me to open the system event log and look for a 105 error (I think it was 105, not sure though). It didn't really tell me what to do after that.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:50 AM

If you find out what kind of hard drive you have, the company might have a diagnostic tool for it which you could download and run. Maxblast is one of those tools, for Maxtor drives. Unfortunately, Maxblast sometimes won't run because it's not compatible with all computer chipsets. (In which case, it's possible to move the drive into another machine with a different motherboard chipset, since Maxblast boots by itself and doesn't need the operating system running.)

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:52 AM

Try the wiping, reformating and complete installation of XP. If your hard drive is working, and the problems are just corrupted or missing software, that should resolve the problems.

You didn't really give us enough information to diagnose whether or not there is a hardware problem, which there may be, and in that case you would need to replace the hard drive. If it is more than three years old I would personally opt for replacing it and just starting fresh as the expected lifetime on a hard drive is not too much longer anyway.

If you can, go to support at the manufacturer of the hard drive and download diagnostics and run them. That will help determine if the drive is failing.

#9 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:48 PM

Here's where you can find most mfr's diagnostics:

Updated 3-6-2006

Manufacturer's Diagnostics

ANY TIME a hard drive is in question as to a problem, run the manufacturer's diagnostics!

Fujitsu http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computi...html#diagnostic
IBM/Hitachi http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
Maxtor http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
Samsung http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/te...c_hdd_hutil.jsp
Seagate Seatools http://download.seagate.com/seatools/regis...esktop?openform
Western Digital http://support.wdc.com/download/downloadxml.asp#2

Hitachi also has a drive-indedpendent program called the Drive Fitness Test. This download is an ISO disc image file that needs to be burnt to a CD using Nero, Roxio or the free CDBurnerXP Pro. Run the long/full test. You can also read the status of the hard drive's internal S.M.A.R.T. diagnostics.

#10 phlipsidez

phlipsidez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:43 PM

So I ran the SMART drive test and I think it basically says it is screwed.

Hard to see what it says cause it goes off the screen but here's what i see...

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: FAILED!
Drive failure expected in less than 24 hours. SAVE ALL DATA.
Failed Attributes:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN
FAILED RAW_VALUE
1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0X000b 001 001 051 Pre-fail Always FAILING_NOW 2783
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate 0x0009 001 001 051 Pre-fail Offline FAILING_NOW 15644

... so I will try to wipe but I'm guessing I need a new HD

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:53 PM

I would not waste your time formatting that drive. As a matter of fact I would not plug it in till you have your new drive completely installed with Windows. When you are ready to recover your data, set it to slace and drag & drop you data from the old to the new drive. It may stay together long enough to recover your files.
Drives are cheap. I would go with two drives instead of one. C:\ fir windows and installed programs and D:\ for data that you cannot afford to loose. IMO.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users