Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extended Desktop Display Scaling Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 samthedagger

samthedagger

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

I have a Samsung LCD television model # LNS4095DX/XAA which I am trying to connect via HDMI to my Cyber Power Laptop with the following specifications:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 2 GB

Intel Core i7

16 GB DDR3 Ram (in case that makes any difference)

I have just updated my drivers for Intel HD Graphics which is the tool through which I manage my Extended Desktop, but I am encountering a problem with scaling. When I output to the Extended Desktop, the edges of the screen are getting cut off. If I run it in Cloned Display mode it will cut off most of my icons on the left side of the screen and about 90% of the Start bar. The "Guide Me" help option provided with the Intel software says I need to go to Display, select Digital Television Samsung from the Select Display menu, then click on Display Scaling to adjust the scaling of the Extended Desktop. I have all those options well and good. There's just one problem: when I click on Display Scaling, I only have one option, which is Maintain Display Scaling.

At some point in the past I had this figured out and had adjusted the scaling to fit my Samsung television perfectly so that nothing was cut off. But over the weekend my wife used my laptop with an Extended Display on her Windows user account and now the scaling is messed up again, only this time I don't seem to have the option to adjust the scaling. Can someone please help me with this? I don't have a lot of experience with using Extended Display, but I want to be able to use my LCD television from time to time for gaming and media. If you need more information, just let me know and I'll be happy to provide it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 samthedagger

samthedagger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

Okay, nevermind. I fixed it myself. I had to change the Refresh Rate from 59i Hz (default) to 60p Hz and viola! The Customize Aspect Ratio button appeared like magic. Hopefully this won't be completely in vain. Perhaps someone else having similar problems will find this and figure out how to fix things.

It figures. I came here when I came to wit's end, then went back and took a second look at it and it just magically hit me.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for letting us know, glad you resolved it.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users