Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Still having issues. Display Driver Fail / Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Reesie87

Reesie87

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

I am using a Dell Laptop, and I have Windows 7. My main internet browser is Firefox.

I am having a problem with my computer randomly blue-screening on me (cache dump), shortly after saying that my Display Driver has failed. Sometimes the Display Driver recovers, and sometimes it leads to the blue screen.

I had a topic in this forum about it (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/504053/display-driver-failing-and-the-blue-screen-of-death/) but they believed it was hardware/software, and sent me to the Windows 7 forum. I had a topic in there (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/506401/display-driver-failing-blue-screen-cache-dump-and-more/?p=3148529) and they're sending me back here, because they think it's still malware :3

OH! Another issue that is still irking me is Internet Explorer. It keeps popping up while i'm browsing on Firefox, and redirecting me to random websites. I have a document of all the URLS its tried to redirect me to, if you'd like to see it. This issue was addresed in the last thread I had in this forum.

Soo....here we go again <33 Any help would be VASTLY appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

HI

From your previous post it seems that your system is experiencing multiple issues. Browser redirection is malware related but the BSOD issue is clearly not.

Error: (09/04/2013 11:44:02 AM) (Source: BugCheck) (User: )
Description: 0x00000116 (0xfffffa8007865010, 0xfffff880040078b8, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002)C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP090413-23587-01

Bugcheck 0x116 indicted there is a problem with the graphic subsystem. It could be hardware or software related.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557263(v=vs.85).aspx

The VIDEO_TDR_ ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000116. This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

Usual, causes : failing display driver, overheating, failing graphic card etc.

In your case, laptop is clearly overheating. It may or may not be the reson behind the BSOD but it is definitly a problem. If not fixed immediatly, it can damage hardware parts which are working now in the long run.

CPU
Intel Core i3 350M @ 2.27GHz: 72 °C
Arrandale 32nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0874P6 (U2E1): 27 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
1024MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series (Dell): 63 °C
Hard Drives 

Abnormal temperature will affect system stability.  Although the CPU is running below than max temperature, 72 is not normal for an i3 CPU. You should get the system cleaned, CPU thermal paste and GPU thermal pad replaced first. Also verify the condition of cooling fan.

Also update the graphic driver to the latest version. You can get it from the below link.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

Regarding the browser redirection, someone experienced in malware removal will assist you.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 16 September 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#3 Reesie87

Reesie87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

I had a feeling it was a combination of both. As for overheating, what if I purchase a portable fan for my laptop? As in, the on-your-lap, USB-port, functions like a table tab that you set your lappy on? I can get one of those for about thirty bucks, where as just checking my laptop into a computer shop is twenty bucks, and then I have to consider the purchase of the hardware that needs to be replaced, and the labor fees. Considering I already spent $150 bucks at the last shop in August trying to resolve this issue, trying to avoid that.

I'm updating the graphic driver now. Thank you SO MUCH for that link!

I'm still waiting on what to do with the redirection malware. Meanwhile, i'll let you know if my display driver crashes again within the next few days after this update.

#4 Reesie87

Reesie87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

My computer booted up normal today, instead of requiring safe-mode with networking. I ran a full scan on SuperAntiSpyware, and it detected 184 tracking cookies and 2 trojans. It labeled the trojans as Trojan.Agent-QQ, under.....Bradford Dissolvable Agent? No idea what that is.

I've removed the threats and restarted my computer.

I await the next step.

EDIT: As a note, I.E is STILL randomly popping up and directing me to websites i'm unfamiliar with. Just thought i'd let you know that despite using SuperAntiSpyware, this continues to be a problem.

Edited by Reesie87, 23 September 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

Hi

Sorry for the late reply.

Using a cooling pad is good for every laptop but it is no way a replacement to clean dusts inside and reapplying thermal paste. Running the laptop on overheat may invoke additional problems in the long run so please do the dust cleaning job first. Yes, maintaining a laptop is costly and difficult at the same time but it is the price we should pay for the comfort of portability.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 24 September 2013 - 05:34 AM.

#6 Reesie87

Reesie87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

True enough. I'll look into a dust cleaning job, for sure.

Do we know who will be able to help me with the other issues, meanwhile?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users