Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safetydefender.com And Spyfalcon

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 inkylady

inkylady

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:40 PM

*hijack this log below was replaced with a new one, as I seem to have finally killed the spyfalcon problem. I do still have the safetydefender.com problem though*

I also have the problem where my start page has been hijacked to safetydefender.com.

I've painstakingly tried everything to rid myself of these problems, with no results.

I've used everything I can think of, including adaware, spybot, ewido, cccleaner, panda, AVG and stinger - and now it's after midnight and I give up.

Here is my hijack this log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:24:16 PM, on 4/26/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Acer\eManager\anbmServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dcomcfg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Launch Manager\QtZgAcer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sistray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Jacob Taylor\Desktop\maint.stuff\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://global.acer.com/
O2 - BHO: Nothing - {edbf1bc8-39ab-48eb-a0a9-c75078eb7c8e} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hp1642.tmp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiSPower] Rundll32.exe SiSPower.dll,ModeAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LManager] C:\Program Files\Launch Manager\QtZgAcer.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Utility Tray.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\sistray.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: Notebook Manager Service (anbmService) - OSA Technologies Inc. - C:\Acer\eManager\anbmServ.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe

Thanks for any help you can give. This is my son's laptop, and I so want to get it working correctly for him

Edited by inkylady, 26 April 2006 - 04:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Thunder

Thunder

• Members
  • 3,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:17 AM

Hello inkylady,

It's better to print out the next instructions or save them in notepad, because you also have to work in safe mode without networking support, so this page wouldn't be available then.
It is also important you don't miss a step and perform everything in the right order!!

1. Download SmitfraudFix (by S!Ri)
Extract the content (a folder named SmitfraudFix) to your Desktop.

2. Download roguescanfix.exe to your desktop.
Doubleclick roguescanfix.exe to install.
This will create a new folder on your desktop called roguescanfix.
Do not use this yet!

3. Boot into safe mode:
Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8.
A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

4. Open the SmitfraudFix folder and double-click smitfraudfix.cmdSelect option #2 - Clean by typing 2 and press "Enter" to delete infected files.

You will be prompted : "Registry cleaning - Do you want to clean the registry ?"; answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter" in order to remove the Desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection.

The tool will now check if wininet.dll is infected. You may be prompted to replace the infected file (if found); answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter".

The tool may need to restart your computer to finish the cleaning process; if it doesn't, please restart again manually.
5. Reboot back into Windows, normal mode.

6. Open the roguescanfix folder and click: Run.bat
This tool needs internet connection so it can download an additional file to let the tool work properly.
If your firewall gives an alert, allow it instead of blocking it.
Let the tool perform its job.
The icons will disappear temporarely from your desktop, and reappear. This is normal.
Wait until the message Completed script execution is displayed, and click OK.
Click Exit to close down bfu.
Finally: click OK to start the Spyfalcon and/or Spywarequake uninstaller, and click uninstall.
WARNING: You will be asked to reboot your computer. Wait until the uninstallers did their job before clicking YES.

7. Post the report from Smitfraud fix, wich you can find here: C:\rapport.txt by using Add Reply,
as well as a new HijackThis log.

Greetings,
BMThor

Edited by BMThor, 27 April 2006 - 01:49 PM.

Whatever happens, make believe it was intended to ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image - If I have helped you in any way, please consider a donation to help me continue the fight against malware.
Stand Up & Be Counted --> Posted Image <-- And make a difference

#3 inkylady

inkylady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:41 AM

:thumbsup:

All is well now

Thanks so much for you help!!!

#4 Thunder

Thunder

• Members
  • 3,294 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:55 AM

Glad we could help, inkylady :thumbsup:

Are you sure you don't want us to check out the logs I mentioned above?

Since your problem is solved, this topic will be closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please email the moderating team -
be sure to include the address of the thread and the name you posted under.

BMThor
Posted Image - If I have helped you in any way, please consider a donation to help me continue the fight against malware.

#5 inkylady

inkylady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:02 AM

I misunderstood, thought you only needed to see them if it didn't work, here they are:

SmitFraudFix v2.39

Scan done at 7:28:22.29, Fri 05/05/2006
Run from C:\Documents and Settings\Jacob Taylor\Desktop\SmitfraudFix\SmitfraudFix

Killing process

Deleting infected files

C:\WINDOWS\system32\atmclk.exe Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dcomcfg.exe Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hp????.tmp Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\simpole.tlb Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\stdole3.tlb Deleted

Deleting Temp Files

Registry Cleaning

Registry Cleaning done.

End

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:59:26 AM, on 5/5/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Acer\eManager\anbmServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Launch Manager\QtZgAcer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sistray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Jacob Taylor\Desktop\maint.stuff\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.comcast.net/home.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://global.acer.com/
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiSPower] Rundll32.exe SiSPower.dll,ModeAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LManager] C:\Program Files\Launch Manager\QtZgAcer.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Utility Tray.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\sistray.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: Notebook Manager Service (anbmService) - OSA Technologies Inc. - C:\Acer\eManager\anbmServ.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe

THANKS!

#6 Thunder

Thunder

• Members
  • 3,294 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 02:36 PM

Hello inkylady,

Your log looks indeed clean now. :thumbsup:

No more problems?

You can delete SmitFraudFix from your Desktop.

-----------------

Below I have included some recommendations on how to protect your computer in order to prevent future malware infections. Please take these recommendations seriously ; these few simple steps can stave off the vast majority of spyware problems.

1. Please navigate to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ on a regulare basis and download all the "critical updates" for Windows, including the latest version of Internet Explorer.
This can patch many of the security holes through which attackers can gain access to your computer.

2. Make sure to keep your antispyware programs up-to-date and to run them regularly[/color][/b], as this can prevent a great deal of spyware hassle.

3. Please consider using an alternate browser. Mozilla's Firefox browser is very good and more secure than Internet Explorer, immune to almost all known browser hijackers, and also has a built-in popup blocker (as an added benefit!) . If you are interested, Firefox may be downloaded from here:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Please also read Tony Klein's excellent article: How I got Infected in the First Place
and/or Grinlers tutorial on how malware is hidden and installed
Hopefully this should take care of your problems!

Greetings,
BMThor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users