Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure what infections my computer has

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shaylady

shaylady

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

Hello,

I am very careful about what sites I will visit and what I will download off the net.  I now have DSL as of Wed.  I lost my presence of mind on Saturday and tried to download a DVD decoder off of cnet.  I use firefox which does not allow a website to redirect to a new page automaticly.  So in the process of trying to download a program that I was told was safe, I hit the wrong button and am not sure what all was downloaded.  I did discover the problem before it had downloaded everything it was wanting to download and stopped the process.  I followed bleeping computers directions for removing the sweetim saturday morning and hoped that that was it.  This morning when turning on the computer I discovered some other problems.  I went into the list of programs from the start button with the thought of running the malwarebytes anti-malware program again and found "Open It!" at the end of the list below malwarebytes.  I don't have a clue what that is.  I also find that when I go to a website I get a new window pop up with some junkmail add which I immediately close.  I also find words on sites that are in red with a double underline.  For example at the top of this page is a note to me with the following words in red and bouble underlined: records, computer problem and start.  When you roll the pointer overthem a window pops up.  Help!  What is going on?  I did a restore point before I downloaded the updated Windows Media Player.  Should I go back to that restore point?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hbyton

hbyton

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

Did you use cnets own installer instead of the direct download link? I ask this because cnet have been bundling adware into their installers recently.

Edited by hbyton, 16 September 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#3 shaylady

shaylady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

I did try cnets own installer thinking it would be safe.  I stopped the download thinking I had hit the wrong button when it asked me about something that I had never heard of.  Then I tried the direct download link but there were buttons all over the screen. (maybe slight exaggeration but I noticed that they said advertisement near each button.  I was afraid of picking the wrong button which I may have done when trying for the cnet installer.  I have downloaded maybe 3 programs from cnet over the last 6 or so years without any problems.  This time around though there seemed to be way more download buttons. 

#4 hbyton

hbyton

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

Okay, usally after a while somebody with a much higher ranking than me will show up and assist you. In the meantime you can try a few things and see if it makes the problem go away.

1. Take a good look at the add and remove programs section in your control panel, if you see the program or any other bogus software that you did not mean to install then try to uninstall them.

2. download and scan your system with adwcleaner and remove anything it finds

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

3. download and run the junkware removal tool 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

4. download and run a full scan with malwarebytes (please decline its offer for the trial)

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

These should help fix your problem :)

Edited by hbyton, 16 September 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#5 shaylady

shaylady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

OKay,  I ran the adwcleaner and junkware removal tool.  I ran the malwarebytes this morning.  On rebooting the computer all seems back to normal.  No underlined words and no pop up windows.  There is still something called sweetpacks toolbar for IE and AVG safeguard toolbar showing up in the add remove programs section that I would like removed.  I tried to remove the AVG safeguard toolbar and it would not respond.

#6 hbyton

hbyton

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

Is the Avg toolbar installed on Firefox? if so then press the Firefox button at the top left corner of the screen, press addons then extensions. Then disable and remove the avg toolbar and anything else that you don't want there.

If it is still not gone then you can try and remove it using revo uninstaller

http://www.revouninstaller.com/start_freeware_download.html

#7 shaylady

shaylady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

The AVG toolbar is only listed in the add remove programs area of the control panel.  When I click change/remove it does not do anything.  I have not opened up IE yet to see if the sweetpacks shows up there.  I am half afraid it will reinfect the computer and I will loose most of another day trying to clean it up. 

#8 hbyton

hbyton

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

Ok what i want you to do is find out what operating system you are using and find out if it is 32 bit or 64 bit. You can do this by clicking on the start button at the bottom left of your screen, right click my computer and select property's. It will show a list of items and in that list will be the operating system and what bit it is.

The utility i want you to run is an avg removal tool, it should remove anything to do with avg and hopefully the toolbar.

If your system is 32 bit please click this link    http://download.avg.com/filedir/util/support/avg_remover_stf_x86_2014_4116.exe

If your system is 64 bit please click this link   http://download.avg.com/filedir/util/support/avg_remover_stf_x64_2014_4116.exe

When you run the utility it will restart your computer, your reboot may be a little slower than normal but don't worry that is normal. Im not sure if the toolbar is the 2013 or the 2014 version, considering you had only just become infected i can only assume that it is the 2014 version so if this does not work then we will try the 2013 version. 

After we have removed the avg toolbar i will show you how to reset internet explorer and Firefox to their default settings.

#9 shaylady

shaylady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

It is after 6:00 here and quiting time.  I will have to get back to this tomorrow.  Thank you for all of your help. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users