Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buy new System, give old to wife-how to save/transfer data

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jimvt

jimvt

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

I'm going to buy a new tower and give the old one to my wife.

Is there a simple way to save some of my files and addresses and also add my wife's stuff to the

one I'm giving her?

Thanks,

Jim D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

<<...and also add my wife's stuff to the one I'm giving her?>>

Well...just where are these files right now?

Do you make routine backups of the current system?

FWIW:  The CPU is only part...of the system.  Since it seems that you intend to buy a new computer...I changed topic title to reflect such.

Louis

#3 jimvt

jimvt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hello, Hamluis...thanks for the response.

Most of the stuff I want to keeep is in "My Doc." file and the OE address book and "Bookmarks" file.

I haven't backed up in a while and am not sure how to it correctly.

I want to save the above files and then delete everything else so my wife gets a fresh start.

Then add her files, addresses, etc to the unit thatt I'm giving her.

I've got a new monitor and keyboard so I'm looking to buy something like an

HP Desktop G2020 with Windows 7(!) if I can find one.

I guess I'm looking for a good "how to" tutorial

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

Backing up or copying the OE address book and even your emails is very straightforward, IMO.

Do a search for *.wab and you will come up with one or more .wab files.  These will be various Address Book files, made at different times...if there is only one, that's OK.  Just copy those files to CD, DVD...whatever and you have them forever.

I also copy my IE Favorites and Cookies files when changing hard drives or moving to a different system.  These files can be found at C:\Documents & Settings\(your name).  There is no point, IMO, in simply copying the entire Documents & Settings folder...you are only interested in the files there which relate to you as a computer user.

You can also copy the entire My Documents folder, using Windows Explorer...and save it to same media.  The size of My Documnets will vary and you may have to use several DVDs to copy the contents.

If you want to move your emails...then you also want to copy the OE message store.  To find the location of this set of files...open Outlook Express.  Click Tools/Options.  On the Maintenance tab, click the Store Folder button near the bottom.  This will show you the location of all emails received, copy that file path listed.  Then...go to the file path listed and copy that folder, save it to DVD.  You now have all your emails received.

You now have backups of Windows Address Book, your emails, Favorites, Cookies, and My Documents...accessible anytime you want to access them.

You still did not tell me...where "her stuff" is...so I cannot tell you how to add it to the system.  Is your wife reflected as a user on the current system?

There are alternate ways of backing up and I don't want to confuse you...but you might also take a look at http://www.insideoe.com/backup/  .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 September 2013 - 07:49 AM.

#5 jimvt

jimvt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

Thanks again, Louis...I think I've got it.

My wife's stuff is on an older Compaq so

I guess I do the same procedure with her and then

add her wanted files back into the computer I give her.

N'est-ce pas?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

Yes, that should work :).

A few additional words...

To get the email files and the WAB back into the system...you simply use the import function of Outlook Express.

To get Cookies and Favorites into your new system...you just replace the files for you on the new system...with the old files.  A new system will reflect both Favorites and Cookies for you but the files will be empty (or near-empty).  Just copy the files for Cookies and Favorites into the new locations...they will replace the old.

My Documents...I normally simply move the contents of My Videos, My Music, etc...into the new files.

If you have any questions during the process...just post them here and someone will try to assist.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users