Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

spam email virus?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 somae

somae

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

We've been getting spam from someone called "Medic.Canada" for weeks. We get 2 or 3 spam emails daily. I spoke to verizon-yahoo about it and they said to mark the email as spam and it would eventually be filtered out. That hasn't happened although I've been marking it as spam for several weeks.

In the past few days I discovered that I couldn't connect with the verizon-yahoo server to get email and I kept getting an error message that didn't give an error code and said it was an unspecified error. Then, suddenly, while I was on the web, I heard the sound that a new message came in. When I looked I saw there was an email from "Medic.Canada" that was less than 1 hour old that came in along with other emails.

I decided to scan the outlook express email folder with our antivirus. When I looked in the email folder I was surprised to see that it seemed that Medic.Canada had somehow managed to have many listings in the main folder (that also contains inbox.dbx, etc.) but these files were .eml files -- such as "Buy cheap meds.eml"

The scan didn't show any virus but this seems pretty suspicious to me.

Help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:08 AM

Hi, somae,

As long as your antivirus is uptodate, it's unlikely you're infected in this case.

When you download your mail into Outlook Express, marking it as spam only puts it in OE's spam folder (or trash if you deleted it).  It doesn't tell Yahoo you have marked it as spam, and it's all kept in OE, which saves all email as EML files. Dump OE's spam folder and trash, then compact the folders if it doesn't do it automatically.  It's also possible OE is keeping email pointers for the purposes of recovery, and you won't be able to get rid of those.

To report received spam to Yahoo for their filters, you'll have to read your mail directly at yahoo.com with your web browser and report directly from there, OR go to http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/spam.html and report it there.  Sometimes it takes a while to get these things filtered without blocking anyone's real mail, depending on how many people are reporting it, and how hard the spammer is trying to get around the mail filters.

If you'd like to double-check behind your normal antivirus program, disable its real-time scanner, then use the free online scanner at http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/ or http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ (whichever is different from your regular one).  Depending on your browser, you may be asked to allow downloading of executable files and/or scripts, and you need to do that for them to run.  When finished, be sure to re-enable your regular scanner.

Edited by MzLindyOne, 16 September 2013 - 05:19 AM.

#3 somae

somae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

Actually, I have been going on the web and logging in to the account and marking it as spam from there. (There isn't an option in outlook express for this.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users