Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Storage on a home wireless network - hard drive question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 janick

janick

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:55 PM

This may be a silly question (I'm new to this). I have a home wireless network with 4 computers on it. I wanted to get a storage unit that I could plug into the router and be accessed for storage (back up of select files) by all of the computers. I purchased a Buffalo Drivestation Axis hard drive unit thinking I would just plug it into the router via USB and it would act as such. Somewhere I thought I had read this was possible. However, it is not being recognized by the network and I'm now wondering if I bought the wrong thing (and perhaps should have purchased a NAS type of storage unit such as the Buffalo Linkstation?). Can anyone help on this? I emailed Buffalo support a couple of times but I'm not hearing back and I'd like to return the Drivestation soon if I need to do so. Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

In general, yes, it is possible to connect a USB drive to a router and have it accessible through the network. It does require a router that supports that functionality. Not all routers have USB ports. And not all routers will support connecting a drive to the USB port (i.e. some routers only support connecting a printer to their USB port so that any computer can print to the printer across the network).

What is the brand and model of your router? If you tell us that, we can determine if your router supports it.

I can say that the Drivestation Axis you bought appears to more or less be a typical USB drive. So, your router would need to support using a drive with the USB port. If it does not, then your best bet would likely be to return the drive and get an NAS.

Edited by smax013, 16 September 2013 - 09:26 AM.

#3 janick

janick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:26 PM

Thanks! My router is quite new: Linksys 1750ac. It also seems to go by: "Linksys EA6700 HD Video Pro AC1750 Smart Wireless Router".

Thanks again for your help.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:17 PM

This should be the manual for your router:

http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/userguide/1224699084559/EA6500_v2_UserGuide_En-FRCA.pdf

If so, then it does support attaching a drive. So, you might take a look at the section on dealing with attaching a USB drive and see if anything helps there.

#5 janick

janick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:44 AM

Thanks so much! I'll give this a whirl tomorrow and hopefully it will work. Much appreciated!!

#6 janick

janick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

BC Advisor:

Thanks so much for your help! I reformatted the HD and it is working just fine on the network.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

I am glad you got it working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users