Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive failed, restored from backup, cannot access images in many folders

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 EM22

EM22

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

The hard drive in my laptop had to be replaced.  I had managed to back up the data to an external hard drive (which unfortunately did not also back up program files...).   Now, for most, but not all, of the folders in my Pictures library, there are no thumbnails, just a generic picture.  If I try to open a picture file, I get an error message saying "Photo Gallery can't open this photo because you do not have permission to access the file location."  I checked the permissions, and it appears that I have full permissions for these files, except for "special permissions."

I can create new folder on the desktop and then drag one of the inaccessible files into the new folder.    I get a message saying I need to provide administrator permission to move this file.  At this point if I click on "continue" the correct thumbnail shows up in the new folder.  

Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:03 PM

There's a few access control changing software applications... Here's one here that works.

edit: or here's some code to do it if you feel like being in control

We can change permissions recursively on drive c: (as described here), but one first have to take ownership of all files and folders by using the following command (on a command line "run as an administrator")

takeown /f "c:" /r

One then have to take explicitly ownership of the system folders such as windows, program files, program files (x86), ProgramData, and any other system file or folder that you want to change the permissions (you can determine which folder you have to take explicitly ownership, by seeing which folder windows denies to change permissions, or by right clicking the folder and trying manually to edit to permissions).

For example to change the ownership for the windows folder execute the following command

takeown /f "c:\windows" /r

After having correctly the ownership, then changing the permissions recursive will work

Edited by TsVk!, 15 September 2013 - 11:07 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

You need to take ownership of the files from the older drive...this is a common situation that occurs when drives are replaced or moved from one system to another.

Take Ownership of a File or Folder, Win 7 - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

Louis

#4 EM22

EM22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

You need to take ownership of the files from the older drive...this is a common situation that occurs when drives are replaced or moved from one system to another.

Take Ownership of a File or Folder, Win 7 - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

Louis

i tried this and it did not work. Now the generic file images have little lock images on them.  I have administrator privileges on this computer.  It shows me as having full access, but I don't.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

What did you do...before trying to take ownership? What other efforts at overcoming this...did you make?

Please download MiniToolBox , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#6 EM22

EM22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

I was able to resolve the problem by creating a new folder called "New Pictures Folder."  I copied everything from "My Pictures" into "New Pictures Folder."  Then I renamed "My Pictures" to "Old Pictures Folder" and renamed "New Pictures Folder" to "My Pictures."  All is working well so far, not sure why, though.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

The good result by you...is all that counts :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

All's well that ends well.

#9 EM22

EM22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

I am still having trouble getting Windows Live Mail to work after the restore operation.  Should I start a new thread for that problem?

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:29 PM

What is the problem with live mail? are you using web based? pop3? imap? configurations...

#11 EM22

EM22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

Live mail won't even open.   I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on a Samsung laptop.   I backed up to a MyPassport external drive using the software that came with the drive.  I have this feeling I should have exported the mail using Live Mail's own backup procedure...

Here's the error message I get when I try to open Live Mail:
"Windows Live Mail could not be started.  Unable to update your message databases.  

An updated version of Windows Live Mail was successfully installed.  However, due to changes in the program, your existing accounts could not be fully updated.   Your existing email and newsgroup messages have been moved to a folder in your Inbox called Recovered Folders.   Your Windows Live Mail mailbox data is currently being used by another program, such as a virus scanner.   Close the program or wait for it to complete its operation, then open Windows Live Mail again (0x80070005)

OK'

The next message I get is"

"Windows Live Mail could not be started.  Windows Live Mail may not be installed correctly, or your computer is low on memory.
OK"

This happens whether or not I close my anti-viral software.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Live Mail 2012.  Memory usage is: CPU usage 0%, physical memory 22%).

Edited by hamluis, 17 September 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

Sounds like your program installation is corrupt. If you can do a "repair installation" i would try that...

Failing that you will have to un-install then re-install it.

#13 EM22

EM22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Live Mail, and also all of Windows Live Essentials.

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

yes, you just said that before.. sorry.

This possible fix.

Type services.msc in search box, and Run it as Administrator.

Then find Windows LIve ID Sign-in Assistant and start the service

Now try windows live mail again

and then, to make it persistent

access to System Configuration (Run by type msconfig)
and checked the service name "Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant"

#15 EM22

EM22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant was already started.  I restarted it and tried Windows Live Mail again, and the result was the same error messages as before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users