Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to Android - acer Iconia W3 - startup and keyboard questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

I'm not sure I ever would have purchased one of these on my own I have a tough time getting up to speed on new stuff.  However I received it as a gift, a generous one from a friend.   

So now I need to get functional and I haven't a clue what I'm doing.

I did find a User's Guide which I downloaded but I guess I don't even know exactly the uses etc.

At startup it asked for an email address and I used my aol address.  But it seems I need to use a Google Account in order to access things like You-Tube so I would like to "undo" the aol address and use my gmail address.   How do I change that?   Its hard just getting on - but I guess I screwed up using AOL and a big help would be to change from AOL to Gmail.   It tells how to do the initial setup (it didn't say anything at setup about gmail/google accounts not sure why.    

With that in mind how do I re-set my device?

I do not wish to have a password but it seems to have one anyone and it seems all I'm doing is entering passwords and so forth and never getting beyond that.

So obviously I am REALLY ILLITERATE I guess would be accurate as far as Androids.   Any tips/advice please?   I don't wanna have to tell my friend when asked how its going that I'm still working on the basics.

Also, it would help if I had a keyboard to use with it.   I have a bluetooth keyboard that came with my Apple but don't use with it - would it be usable with this android?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

Since you didn't use the gmail address, it's very unl;ikely you've done very much that you would lose in a total reset.

Go into your settings and find the reset option (could be Backup and Settings, could be under Security or might be some other place). Do a factory reset and it will ask the same questions it asked the first time when it boots again. Then you can input your gmail address.

Once you're set up again, you can access the Play Store to look for apps/games you might like. You can customize the thing (to a point), too. For instance, I replace the launcher (the entire interface) with Go Launcher or Next Launcher. I've also used several others and constantly try new ones to see if there's something I might like better. There are apps an widgets galore. Many of them good, many of them bad, some of them great and some of them awful. Most are free, some are paid. You can try as many as you like and get rid of the ones you don't want either from inside the Play Store (My Apps) or from Settings/Applications/Management.

I thought the "W" models of the Iconia were all Windows. I used to have an Iconia (A100), but it had an "A" where you have a "W".

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

Since you didn't use the gmail address, it's very unl;ikely you've done very much that you would lose in a total reset.

Go into your settings and find the reset option (could be Backup and Settings, could be under Security or might be some other place). Do a factory reset and it will ask the same questions it asked the first time when it boots again. Then you can input your gmail address.

Once you're set up again, you can access the Play Store to look for apps/games you might like. You can customize the thing (to a point), too. For instance, I replace the launcher (the entire interface) with Go Launcher or Next Launcher. I've also used several others and constantly try new ones to see if there's something I might like better. There are apps an widgets galore. Many of them good, many of them bad, some of them great and some of them awful. Most are free, some are paid. You can try as many as you like and get rid of the ones you don't want either from inside the Play Store (My Apps) or from Settings/Applications/Management.

I thought the "W" models of the Iconia were all Windows. I used to have an Iconia (A100), but it had an "A" where you have a "W".

Thanks for your suggestions.   Makes sense to me if I can get it done will be great.   I appreciate your help I will update the results.  

#4 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

I have found my settings but can't find a reset?

Edited by JayJax, 17 September 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#5 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

I forget what it looked like on my old Iconia. But you can usually find that in the apps. Look for a cube made out of 9 smaller cubes.

I think I recall that you could swipe from right-to-left and there were several things that showed up in a drawer. If memory serves me correctly, one of those was labeled Settings.

If none of that helps, you can ask again or try googling for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users