Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What wattage laptop power cord/charger for HP Pavilion DV7?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cate66

cate66

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

Hello this is my first post and I hope it's in the right category. I've had an HP Pavilion DV7 laptop for over 3 years and today it fell off my bed and bent the power cord end right where it plugs in to the computer, it is now not getting power to the laptop as evidenced by no light coming on there. My powercord/charger says 120 watts on it, it's big, but I went to three stores and no one had one that big. Now, my battery is dead and won't recharge (for awhile now) and I haven't bought another one, I don't plan on it either. I just use the laptop plugged in all the time.

I grabbed my roommate's power cord from his smaller laptop and when my roommate came back, he told me the guy at the store says I shouldn't use it because it's only 60 watts. So, my question is this: They have a 90 watt cord/charger at Best Buy-will this work ok for my laptop? Since I'm not charging the battery? At amazon, when I type in power cords for DV7s they all say 90 watts. 

Thank you for any help/info.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Accessories/AC-Adapters/VE025AA?HP-120W-Smart-AC-Adapter

When you connected the 60 watt did the light come on?

I am concerned about damage where the connecter connects. If it damaged the connection from the plug area internally to the motherboard.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

I share boopme's concern about possible damage to the input socket - we see that often at the repair shop where I work.

As for the necessary PSU wattage, see what the HP specification is for your specific model of DV7.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

And if the jack is damaged...you get to do a lot of un-screwing and rescrewing. See video: Replacing an HP Pavilion DV7 DC Power Jack - YouTube

At Amazon...Amazon.com: HP Pavilion DV7-3065dx AC Adapter - 90 Watt (Replacement): Computers & Accessories

$6.15 + $5.49 shipping

Amazon.com: HP Pavilion DV7-3065dx AC Adapter - 120 Watt: Electronics

HP Pavilion DV7-3065dx 120 Watt AC Adapter - Premium Powerwarehouse Replacement Adapter
  • $50.00
  • In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.
  • Product Description
  • ... HP Pavilion DV7-3065dx 19V, 6.32A, 120 Watt AC Power Adapter.

Edited by buddy215, 15 September 2013 - 08:34 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 cate66

cate66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

Thanks everyone for your help.

The light did come on when I used the 60 watt adapter. It seemed to work fine, because if it didn't, the computer would have shut off after 30 seconds because my battery is dead. So I don't think it's wrecked inside the connector. The kid at Best Buy was concerned that it wouldn't have enough power and would burn out or something.  I know I could probably order one from HP, (I'm in Canada) it's just a hassle as the store is far away and I'm  ill, and was hoping to get one before my roommate leaves for a week on Tuesday morning. My roommate was actually out at the stores in our area where I bought it. Anyway, on my receipt for the machine it says DV7-2278CA, so I'm trying to google that to find the specification for the PSU thank you.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

That is a potentially hungry unit. The TDPMax rating for the CPU is 45W and Mobility Radeon HD 4650 GPU can be rated 15 -25W and up to 35W as a complete video system. With the rest of the system including HDD & screen, I wouldn't feel comfortable advising anything less than the specified 120W PSU. It is possible you could get a way with a 90W unit given light usage, but long term who knows?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 cate66

cate66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

Thank you Platypus. By light usage do you mean  what I'm doing with it or time wise? I'm in bed these days because of my health and have the thing on from morning to night everyday. I watch a lot of movies and surf the net. I've googled and only endless sites selling adapters come up, I've got MS and can't read it all regarding the specifications needed. Yes it's a fast, powerful laptop, or was when I bought it. 

What are the risks using a power cord/adapter that doesn't have enough watts? Can it harm my laptop?

Edited by cate66, 16 September 2013 - 05:22 AM.

#8 cate66

cate66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

Obviously my main worry would be that my laptop doesn't get wrecked. If the power cord didn't last for years, I wouldn't care.

Edit--I called HP and ordered one. They said a 90 watt would be fine but that it had to be an HP adapter.

Edited by cate66, 16 September 2013 - 12:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users