Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to save as PDF file but all pages won't load

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

Sorry, I'm not 100% sure what category this falls under but since I'm running on windows 7 i put it here.

I'm trying to download a docstoc file and when I right click, print document, save as PDF, it won't load all the 99 pages of the document.  It only loads about 70-78 pages.  I've tried it several times over and over, refreshed, different browsers, different computers from different places but all result the same (only 70-78 pages loads).  

I did notice that in the middle of "loading preview", there is a pop up behind the window that appears to be a shockwave flash error.  I'm guessing this might be the reason why it stop at about 77 pages instead of loading the full 99 pages?  I've already disabled and enabled shockwave and neither worked. I've updated to the lastest version and same problem.

Can anyone else check this out and try?  Here's my link:

You'll see clearly it's 99 pages, but when you right click mouse > print document > then save as PDF file, it will only load about 70ish pages and that's all I'm able to save.

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2013 - 07:37 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

There's a download button in the upper right corner of my screen...that won't allow download without an account for said website.

Not sure what you are referring to with your explanation of attempted download procedures.

Louis

#3 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

Ah, its in an swf loader so all you have to do is RIGHT CLICK mouse and you'll see the option "Print Document".  I can print the document or save it as pdf or anything else, but as stated, only up to 70-78 pages at most of the 99 total pages of the document.

It always loads for a minute and says, "loading preview" and after about 20 seconds, you'll see a shockwave plugin error bar appear behind the window.  I don't know if that is the cause of the reason why the entire file won't load.   

I already saved it as a PDF file but only have 78 pages of 99.  It varies each time you "refresh" and try it again.  Sometimes it only loads 32 pages other times 70 pages.  

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

I would try uninstalling and reinstalling Shockwave and related plug-ins to see if that might be your problem.

My security setup won't allow me to access your link so I can't see it either.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

I've disabled and enabled, neither worked.

I've updated and installed latest adobe flash player and shockwave flash, still get the same problem.

What I need to know most is if this problem is happening with everyone else, because I think it would.

It's not a private link or high security link or anything like that.  It's a public link, it's open to ANYONE who wants it.

Could someone just please try and save the file as PDF too and see if you're able to load all 99 pages or if you also get

stuck at 70ish pages?

There's no security threat, no password, no surveys, nothing.....it's just a link that takes you to the file and all you have to do is RIGHT CLICK on the screen, choose PRINT DOCUMENT, then go to CHANGE, then go to SAVE AS PDF and it'll try to load the preview but stop at around 70ish pages instead of the full 99.  I've saved it already as PDF but as I said, only get 78 pages max.   I could just let it go and be fine with 78 pages of 99, but more than anything, I just want to know what the issue or conflict is that is causing this ?

#6 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

I just printed all 99 pages to a 20,598KB PDF file, no error messages of any kind. No problem opening the file in a PDF viewer, could view all 99 pages.

#7 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

I just tried again with the same results. All 99 pages were printed to a PDF file, no error messages.

Using Opera:

• Right clicked on the page
  • Selected "Print Document" from the menu
  • Selected CutePDF Writer from the printer list
  • Clicked the "Print" button
  • Selected a folder to "Save" to
  • Assigned a name for the PDF file
  • Clicked the "Save" button

All 99 pages were saved to an easily viewed PDF file.

When you pulled up the "docstoc" page, did you by any chance get a pop-up like this one?

d4vq.jpg

If not that may be part of the problem. You will need to check your flash settings to ensure that "docstoc" is allowed to store extra flash information on your computer.

When you right click on the "docstoc" page, one of the options, along with "Print Document", is "Settings...". Clicking on that option will show and allow you to change the Flash Player storage settings for "docstoc". Once you've allowed the extra storage, refresh the page.

For more information on Flash Player settings have a look at:
Flash Player Help (Settings Manager).

In particular the: Global Storage Settings panel.

And the: Website Storage Settings panel.

Any way those are some things you can check, see if anything helps or improves.

#8 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

Oh, that's good news!  I never got any pop-ups with that message.  Also mine didn't say cute-pdf.  Maybe it's my pdf reader? I'll try using another one.  I'm out of town for a couple days so I'll work on it when I get back.

#9 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

Ok, i went to flash settings and increased the online storage from 2kb to unlimited.  Refreshed page and tried to save it but again it only loaded about 73 pages and not the full 99.

Here is my video I recorded to show you what is happening.  I've tried this on chrome, IE, mozilla, and on 3 different computers at 3 different places (my home, my school, my friends house) and all of them didn't work...it said the same thing, (70-75 pages loaded, that's all).  

View My Video

#10 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

If I can't get to the bottom of this and find a solution, then can someone just send me the entire 99 page pdf file to me either to my email: cornflakes2@gmail.com or via a link?  I guess that would be quicker....but i still want to know why it doesn't work for me but it seems to work fine for the 2 of you who tried.

#11 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

Not exactly sure what is going on there. I don't get a "loading preview" screen and I don't get a shockwave plug in error. But then I don't have shockwave installed, just the Flash Player.

I don't have Chrome installed either, which comes with it's own version of Flash Player, but I don't think that would affect I.E. or FF.

It's possible that your Local(to your computer) "Flash Player Settings Manager" is overriding the settings that you're declaring on-line.

You can access the Local "Flash Player Settings Manager" on your computer from the Windows Control Panel or:

From the Windows run box([Windows] Key + [R] key):
type or copy and paste FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl in the box, (might have to run with elevated privileges).

Once the "Flash Player Settings Manager" pops up, under the "Storage" tab click the "Local Storage Settings by Site..." button.

You should see a list of site names with the amount of "Storage Used" and a "Storage Access" declaration.

For instance, right now I'm showing swf.docstoc.com with 147 bytes of "Storage Used" and "Storage Access" as Allow.

The "Storage Access" is the important one here. You can change it by clicking on the site name and selecting from a drop down menu.

Looks to me like Shock Wave is the culprit. Try disabling the Shock Wave plug-in in the browser you're using. If that fails, the only other thing I can think of is to un-instal Shock Wave, re-boot and try again with no Shock Wave installed.

You might want to ask one of the Moderators to remove that email address. Posting those on a forum is asking for spam or worse.

If I can't get to the bottom of this and find a solution, then can someone just send me the entire 99 page pdf file to me either to my email: < Snip > or via a link? I guess that would be quicker....but i still want to know why it doesn't work for me but it seems to work fine for the 2 of you who tried.
Actually I tried it twice, once on Tuesday evening and then again on Wednesday afternoon with the same results. Maybe I was just lucky.

Nope, just tried it again using the steps I described in post #7, all went well. Printed all 99 pages to a PDF file.

#12 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

When I enter in FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl

it says not found for me.

I tried doing it many times before with shockwave disabled and when I try to save as PDF it doesn't download the PDF but it saves a SWF file which is about 100kb.  I have to have shockwave enabled for it to load it seems but it won't load all 99 pages.

Can u send me a link or something for the PDF?  I'm not sure what else I can try.  It's really strange that it works for some ppl and not for others.

#13 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

Ah, I finally got it all 99 pages to load.  It seems the solution was to simply WAIT for the entire document to load before saving as PDF LOL.

I was always trying to save as PDF seconds after loading the page.  But I realized if I just waited 1 minute or longer for all 99 pages to load THEN go to so print document and save pdf it saves all 99 pages lol.

#14 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for letting us know how you resolved the issue and remember "patience is a virtue" :thumbsup2:

Edited by chrisd87, 20 September 2013 - 12:14 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#15 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

Your perseverance and patience has paid off. Nice job. :thumbup2: 

I'm a bit confused though, that you need to have the Shockwave Player installed for this to work and I only need the Flash Player. As long as it works for you though, that's what counts.

Much appreciated for telling us your solution. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users