Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Video/USB power or boot up

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ronk146

Ronk146

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

My sons gamiing Computer (worked for over a year) Intel I7, Biostar T series motherboard,  Radeon HD 7950 video card, 800W power supply.

Problem: when the computer is turned on you get a slight flash of the hard drive LED and the video montiors say no signal, unplug cable from computer and they say cable disconnect. Tried video cable on the Radeon and on board video with the same results. Do not have power to the keyboard (tested on other computer and it powers up). Tried booting with a CD just incase the hard drive is bad and would not boot on the CD drive either.

Read on forums that this is a indication of a bad power supply or motherboard.

The Power supply was making a clicking noise I replaced with a 850W have the same results as above.

Replaced the mother board New MSI Z77A-G45 gaming. same results

Now I am not going to just piece it out anymore. What should I look into? Memory? or did the CPU overheat and give up?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

I would look toward the memory. Have you tried using 1 stick and see if it'll boot up on one stick? Also some motherboards have certain slots that the memory has to go in, in order for it to boot up.

So just to clarify things..

You replaced the Biostar with MSI *didn't make a difference?"

You replaced the 800 watt with 850 watt *didn't make a difference?"

After replacing those 2 parts, were the symptoms the same? Were there different results when those 2 parts were replaced?

Also, you can boot without a HDD present. You will just get the error of no boot media present, no os found, or something similiar to those words.

Edited by chrisd87, 15 September 2013 - 06:42 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

A clicking noise is usually the hdd.  This is known as "the click of death".

When you tried to boot from the CD, did you change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device and the hdd the second device? 

Please post the manufacturer of the hdd and I will post a link for the manufacturer's diagnostic tool so you can discern if the hdd is in fact the problem.

Edited by dc3, 15 September 2013 - 06:40 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Ronk146

Ronk146
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

I would look toward the memory. Have you tried using 1 stick and see if it'll boot up on one stick? Also some motherboards have certain slots that the memory has to go in, in order for it to boot up.

So just to clarify things..

You replaced the Biostar with MSI *didn't make a difference?"

You replaced the 800 watt with 850 watt *didn't make a difference?"

After replacing those 2 parts, were the symptoms the same? Were there different results when those 2 parts were replaced?

Also, you can boot without a HDD present. You will just get the error of no boot media present, no os found, or something similiar to those words.

I haven't tried the memory one at a time. All 4 slots are filled so no empty slots for bot up.

Biostar to MSI No Difference no BIOS output to the screen

800 to 850 again Same symptoms.

I have tried booting with out the HDD installed and get the same. No out put to the monitor and therefore no BIOS

#5 Ronk146

Ronk146
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

A clicking noise is usually the hdd.  This is known as "the click of death".

When you tried to boot from the CD, did you change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device and the hdd the second device? 

Please post the manufacturer of the hdd and I will post a link for the manufacturer's diagnostic tool so you can discern if the hdd is in fact the problem.

The clicking/ticking was definately from the PSU as  it went away with the new PSU with the same HDD. Could have been the PSU fan.

The HDD is a Seagate 2000GB

I did not change the BIOS to boot to the CD as I can not get to the BIOS as I have no keyboard USB power and therefore no Del or F keys work.

thanks

Thanks

#6 Ronk146

Ronk146
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

Just checked with one memory stick, 2 memory or all 4 still have the same indications.

No out put to the monitors therefore can not get to bios

No power to USB port for keyboards, front or back of computer. Checked keyboard on another computer and it works.

Still confused

#7 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

Have you made sure the ATX 12V cable is plugged in? It's the cable that most of the time resides beside the cpu. Also have you tried to clear the cmos?

Take out the cmos battery for 30 sec-1 min and put it back in. Also you may have a jumper you need to pull as well. If so, then pull the jumper and wait the same amount of time, and then put it back in.

Edited by chrisd87, 15 September 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#8 Ronk146

Ronk146
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:16 PM

Have you made sure the ATX 12V cable is plugged in? It's the cable that most of the time resides beside the cpu. Also have you tried to clear the cmos?

Take out the cmos battery for 30 sec-1 min and put it back in. Also you may have a jumper you need to pull as well. If so, then pull the jumper and wait the same amount of time, and then put it back in.

I have checked and rechecked every power cable on the computer. Even pulled out the old multi meter to verify that the PSU is providing power. On the old Biostar motherboard I tried the CMOS reset, with both the battery removal and the jumper. Still had the same symptoms. haven't done that with the MSi motherboard, kind of hoping with a new motherboard I would get something different. The only things that are left Memory modules (kind of doubt), the CPU itself (really hope not do not want to dump that kind of money, but already dumped $300), or I got a bad motherboard or PSU.

Thanks for helping, anything else I should try?

It just baffles me that the all USB ports do not have power....

#9 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:42 PM

What were the results of the multimeter? It's either psu or board.

#10 Ronk146

Ronk146
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:04 PM

The power at all the connections on the multimeter where right. Because of the noise from the PSU I replaced it. That did not fix the problem so then I replaced the motherboard. With the same problem and the PSU readings by multimeter as they should be. The Motherboard looks like it is OK. I get all the lights for the CPU on the motherboard, All the fans start off the motherboard. No beeping from the motherboard (it did beep when I put the memory in incorrectly just to see).

Maybe the motherboard is DOA. Is there any other way to tell?

Edited by Ronk146, 15 September 2013 - 11:04 PM.

#11 Ronk146

Ronk146
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

This has me baffled. I am leaning toward that the CPU is bad. New PSU, NEW MOBO and still can not get to the BIOS. Monitors work on another system. I get no video from the system on either the on board or the video card. Monitor does tell me that the cable is disconnected.

Tested all the power and I am getting the right voltages at all the right places from the PSU and the new MOBO has a voltage test area and those are right.

Tried a bare bones hook up outside the case, with CPU and 1 memory stick and still nada when it comes to video or USB power (didn't even hook up the HDD)

Is there a way to test if the CPU is the problem?

This has me stumped on what to try next.

Ideas?

#12 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

This has me baffled. I am leaning toward that the CPU is bad. New PSU, NEW MOBO and still can not get to the BIOS. Monitors work on another system. I get no video from the system on either the on board or the video card. Monitor does tell me that the cable is disconnected.

Tested all the power and I am getting the right voltages at all the right places from the PSU and the new MOBO has a voltage test area and those are right.

Tried a bare bones hook up outside the case, with CPU and 1 memory stick and still nada when it comes to video or USB power (didn't even hook up the HDD)

Is there a way to test if the CPU is the problem?

This has me stumped on what to try next.

Ideas?

You can try to remove the heatsink, and make sure the latch is fastened securely on the processor. If the latch is not fastened all the way on the cpu, it won't push the pins down all the way and won't get good contact with the motherboard. Try to take the heatsink off, check the lever/latch, then reconnect it and make sure the cpu fan is plugged into the cpu plug on the motherboard.

Edited by chrisd87, 16 September 2013 - 07:52 PM.

#13 Ronk146

Ronk146
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

Checked the CPU was plugged in correctly. It is latched all the way down with the pins properly aligned on the chip board.

Thanks for all the help.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

Between the heatsink and the CPU there is a layer of thermal compound which enhances the transfer of heat from the CPU to the heatsink.  Without this the CPU could overheat.

If you removed the heatsink it would be a good idea to remove the thermal compound and reapply the compound.  You only need a dab about the size of a grain of rice.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users