Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Text Document Program - What to use?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

What program to use with Mountain Lion to open a text document.   I can't believe an expensive computer such as an Apple comes without some sort of text software?

I'm trying to figure out how to use my new Tablet.

Trying to download a user guide but I'm on an Apple Mountain Lion and it asks me what program to use to open the text document?

I haven't got a clue?

Text Edit just brings up gibberish?

Edited by JayJax, 15 September 2013 - 05:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:09 PM

TextEdit is the Mac OS' built-in program for reading text documents. If you are using TextEdit and getting gibberish, it is either not a text document (i.e. maybe a PDF document, in which case you want Preview); it is using some language that you do not have installed; or the text file is corrupted in some manner.

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

TextEdit is the Mac OS' built-in program for reading text documents. If you are using TextEdit and getting gibberish, it is either not a text document (i.e. maybe a PDF document, in which case you want Preview); it is using some language that you do not have installed; or the text file is corrupted in some manner.

yes, it is a PDF document - I gave preview a try and it works fine.   Thanks for the tip.   I didn't realize Preview was used for PDF's.  Now I know.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

yes, it is a PDF document - I gave preview a try and it works fine.   Thanks for the tip.   I didn't realize Preview was used for PDF's.  Now I know.

Yes, Preview is Apple's "built-in" program for PDFs. It will also deal with image files for viewing. FWIW, it is not just a "viewer" for PDF files...in can do many of the things that "full" Adobe Acrobat can do.

Of course, you can also use Adobe Acrobat Reader or the "full" Adobe Acrobat for viewing PDF files.

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for the info I have a lot to learn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users