Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound/Keyboard Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 whittwhitt

whittwhitt

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

The sound on my laptop has recently been going on and off; it goes from muted to unmuted. Also the sound display box pops up to show that it is muted/unmuted - the sound box that pops up when you turn the volume up/down from the laptop's keyboard (by holding Fn+up)...but he keyboard on my laptop has not been working for a few months (spilled something on it).

So I'm thinking that the keyboard might be fried or a key is stuck? 

Also I noticed while typing this that it occasionally backspaces while i'm typing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

...but he keyboard on my laptop has not been working for a few months (spilled something on it).

The answer is probably a stuck key, but which keyboard did you type this post on ?

Chris Cosgrove

#3 whittwhitt

whittwhitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

another keyboard via USB. Is there a way to disconnect the laptop's keyboard from inside the computer? I've tried to uninstall the keyboard but that didn't work...

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

another keyboard via USB. Is there a way to disconnect the laptop's keyboard from inside the computer? I've tried to uninstall the keyboard but that didn't work...

Most of the time there is a ribbon cable that will connect the keyboard to the motherboard. You could also go into the BIOS and look for an option to disable internal keyboard.

Edited by chrisd87, 15 September 2013 - 06:51 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

Keyboard replacement on laptops is fairly inexpensive and simple. I've done many at my job (computer repair). Just go on Ebay and look up your laptop model and cross reference "keyboard". For best results you should get the part number of the keyboard, which will usually be a sticker underneath the keypad. It will require disassembling the laptop, but not to a major amount- the keyboard is about the simplest thing to remove.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users