Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 PC start up problem

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Squingo

Squingo

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

Probably not the best description in the world but here goes.

My problem started about 3 days ago, the machine would start, the bios would run okay, the login screen came up ok and I would login then after what seems ages the desktop would open, then another long delay whilst the background tasks ran up . the move the mouse to the start pane and the pc stops dead, the mouse cursor becomes a blue circle and the clock stops ultimately the mouse won't even move at all so a soft reboot to go through the whole startup asain!

I tried going in to my daughter's login and had some success and I ran both MBam and Spybot individually to check for potential malware but nothing reported back. 

I am in the process of doing the recommended checks Ccleaner etc the insides of the machine are clean so I am now at the point of asking for help!

Many thanks in advance,

Ian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

Given that this started 3-4 days ago I would suggest using Windows Restore to revert back to a time before the problem started. Two ways to do this.

The simplest way - if you can get the computer to boot to a normal running condition - is 'Start / Control Panel / Recovery / Open System Restore'. Here you will be offered a restore point. by default it is the latest. If this does NOT date from before the start of your problem, there is a button 'Other restore points' (or wording like that). This will bring up a list of all available restore points. Pick the latest one that dates from before the start of your problem then click 'Restore'. Let Wiindows do its thing, it may take up to 5 minutes, and things should be normal again.

The other way can be a little more complicated. You start by pressing the 'F8' key while the BIOS screen is showiing immediately after switch-on. This should take you to the 'Advanced boot options' screen which is black with white text. At the bottom of the screen you will see a line 'Start Windows in last known good configuration'. Use the up and down arrow keys to select this, then hit 'Enter'. Again, after a few minutes, Windows will start and it should be running normally.

It may be that Windows' idea of 'Last known good . . .' is not the same as yours. In which case repeat the process with the 'F8' key, but this time choose 'Repair options'. After about 5 minutes, again, it may have fixed the problem, it may not. If not, you will be offered 'Advanced repair options' and through this you will get back to the 'Choose a restore point options'. At this point continue as in the first solution !

After you have done this, you will have to re-install any updates since the restore point chosen. Since it could be one of these that caused the problem, I suggest installing them one at a time.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Squingo

Squingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

Hi Chris,

I have tried the F8key and gotten into system restore function, sadly after 3 attempts at different restore points I appear to have come to the bsod!

I can still run in safe mode but a normal start up goes through the login which I enter as normal the although th e hard drive is very busy and the mouse still moves over the screen, nothing else happens.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Ian

#4 Squingo

Squingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

Still trying!

I can get my login to run for around 2 minutes befor it locks up, the only thing I can see on the screen is the network adaptor trying to load.

I feel it must be something in the starup and device loadings but I'm darned if I can find it!

Ian

#5 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

If you can boot into safe mode, then you go launch the msconfig utility, and disable all startup options, and all non-microsoft services. From there you can start to re-enable them 1 by 1 to see if you can find the one that's hanging the system up.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#6 Squingo

Squingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

Hi,

I have just gone into msconfig and disabled all startup options.

I have restarted and am at the "starting windows " page, now in the login, I have my login, my daughters, and an avast software updater login !!!!

Typing my login, welcome and the "swirl", windows screen is now up with my normal background task manager is up ok, one ting I  notice is the task bar is different but I am putting that down to the star up.

So far so good, will update tomorrow.

Ian 

#7 Squingo

Squingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

Things seam to have terminally wrong, no drivers where loading for network or sound card, although windows says both are ok, help has disapeared,So I plan to save all my files and music and pictures to one of my other drives and reformat the effected drive and reload 7 from scratch, wish me luck!

#8 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

Ok, we'll be here and let us know if you need any help with the process.

#9 Squingo

Squingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

Thanks Chris,

Just trying to find a way of saving all the settings and pictures be fore I go ahead! Don't want to loose the family pictures.

Ian

#10 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

If you have another computer, you can mount the hard drive as a secondary drive and from there you can pull all of your information off. If your PC will act normally long enough for you to do it, then that's an option as well. When you mention settings, may I ask what you're referring to?

Edited by chrisd87, 17 September 2013 - 02:48 PM.

#11 Squingo

Squingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

Hi Chris, 

Fortunately I have a couple of hard drives with plenty of space to move the data across to, the only thing I am trying to do is save my Mozilla Thunderbird settings for the new setup, I can't see a way of saving the downloaded e-mails I have though.

Ian

#12 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:58 PM

See if this helps you.

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/1911-mozilla-thunderbird-backup-your-settings

http://email.about.com/od/mozillathunderbirdtips/qt/et_backup_prof.htm

Edited by chrisd87, 17 September 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#13 Squingo

Squingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:39 AM

Hi,

Well I did reinstall, to some success then last night I opened windows media player and back being unable to open task manager, shut down, log off, restart etc. could still
access the but that was all. Maybe need to reboot and check for updates again...

#14 Squingo

Squingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:29 PM

So I rebooted it and after a full 3 hours of virus scan (Avast) with no major problems found it started up okay so I shut down Norma
ly and it went to do some updates so I it to get on with it. Now some 7 hours later it has hung somewhere during the first update install.

#15 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:04 AM

When you refer to hung, are you taking about the pc has froze up and is not responsive and you have to do a hard shutdown, or are you referring to the update just gets stuck and won't continue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users