Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Undo Re-install Of Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kpet00

kpet00

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:19 PM

HELP I was having problems with my Dell laptop, so I went onto their website and the way to fix it was on there, well it said to restore the windows xp program, and instead of restore I accidently pushed re-install.................i know....stupid stupid stupid!!!! I am unable to get onto the internet now, and also cannot find my files on the harddrive. I understand that the files may be lost forever, but what I am wanting to know is can I get the harddrive back to when I opened it up out of the box brand new. I have lost programs that I paid Dell to install on the harddrive. Please help!!! If I am only able to get it back to working condition and get onto the internet, that is ok with me. Would rather have it the way it was, but will settle for less. Thanks :thumbsup:

***Mod edit - closed tag brackets*** rigel

Edited by rigel, 25 April 2006 - 09:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:37 PM

I am unable to get onto the internet now,

What kind of internet provider do you have? Is it cable, DSL, Satellite, dialup? You have to set up your internet connection. A clean re-install wipes everything.

and also cannot find my files on the harddrive.

No, you have probably lost them. There are companies that can recover some of them, but the cost could be thousands of dollars. If you had simply deleted the files, they might be recoverable. But you have, by doing a complete re-install, formatted the drive, effectively destroying the files.

I understand that the files may be lost forever, but what I am wanting to know is can I get the harddrive back to when I opened it up out of the box brand new. I have lost programs that I paid Dell to install on the harddrive.

When you have programs installed, you usually have a license for them, which should have been supplied by Dell. Programs like MS Office, Quickbooks, etc., all have licenses. This could be an expensive learning experience for you if you don't have any documentation about that. And it's also a good learning experience (and believe me, I feel your pain) if you didn't back up all your data. The computer is not invulnerable. There are two kinds of hard drives - those that have crashed, and those that will. You must back up your data, meaning files, pictures, music, emails, addresses, favorites, whatever is important to you. You're always going to lose something when a computer crashes, but you don't have to lose everything.

Please help!!! If I am only able to get it back to working condition and get onto the internet, that is ok with me. Would rather have it the way it was, but will settle for less.

Sure. Let's start with who your internet provider is (no email addresses please!), and what kind of connection to your ISP you have.

#3 kpet00

kpet00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:47 PM

ok, i have a dial-up internet connection, but when I try to re-install the program and set up the connection it says: no modems detected......what now? ggrrrrrr, I don't understand how it could have lost the modem information.

#4 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:42 PM

Did you re-install the drivers for the modem?

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:52 PM

Just me is correct. The first thing that you do when you re-install Windows is check the Device Manager to see if all the drivers are OK. If there is a problem, there will be a yellow exclamation point or question mark.

You need to figure out what kind of modem it is and find the drivers for it. The modem information is not included in the re-install of Windows. Dell should have sent you a driver disk to go with your laptop. The drivers should be on there. Put the driver cd in the CD-Rom and reboot the computer. If you don't have a driver disk, it could be more difficult. You may be able to download the drivers on the computer you're using now, burn them to a CD and install them that way. You'd need to visit Dell support and find your computer model, then the downloads for it.

#6 kpet00

kpet00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 01:51 PM

ok, i will try that thank you. I don't have the drivers disc, dell doesn't send a disc with laptops anymore. You say I can download them on this computer and burn them to a cd? I will try. Thanks again.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:53 PM

If they didn't send you a driver cd there is probably a restore partition which reinstall of Windows should not affect.

How to do a Dell restore

Dell PC Restore by Symantec is available on Dimension and Inspiron systems that shipped on or after 7/16/2004 in the Americas and 8/30/2004 in Europe.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&c=us&cs=&s=gen

2. When the Dell screen appears press and hold the <Ctrl> key on the keyboard, press the <F11> key, then release them both at the same time.
The Dell PC Restore by Symantec window appears.

NOTE NOTE: Press the keys one time only. If you press them more than once, a keyboard error occurs and the process has to be initiated again.

3. Click the Restore button or press the <Tab> key to highlight Restore and press the <Enter> key.
A caution message appears advising that all data will be lost.
4. Click the Confirm button or press the <Tab> key to highlight Confirm and press the <Enter> key.
The Progress window appears. Once the process is begun, Dell PC Restore usually takes only 8 to 10 minutes to complete.
When the restore is complete, the message The system recovery process was successful appears.
5. Click the Finish button or press the <Tab> key to highlight Finish and press the <Enter> key.
The computer will restart.

Your software is now as it was when you first received your computer.

Edited by Enthusiast, 26 April 2006 - 09:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users