Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TV added as 2nd monitor craetes problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jmb352

jmb352

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

Creating a thread title was a challenge.

I used an HDMI cable and connected my CPU to my television as a second monitor to view the occasional streamed movie, ball game or TV show. It was as simple as plugging in the connections and selecting the proper input on the TV and presto. It worked and works fine.

The problem arises after a restart. After a restart the screen resolution changes on the primary monitor from 1920 x 1080 to, say 1280 x 720. I don't recall if these numbers are exact, but they're close enough. I went to the settings tab to simply change the resolution back to 1920 x 1080, but that's not an option. The new setting of 1280 x 720 seems to be the limit. In other words resetting the resolution to 1920 x 1080 isn't even an option. The slide on the resolution bar is as far right as it will go while set at 1280 x 720.

If I unplug the HDMI cable leading to the TV and restart, the resolution is still set to 1280 x 720, but I can easily change the setting back to 1920 x 1080. I can plug the HDMI cable in again and all is well. There will not be another problem until there's another restart.

I should add that I first encountered this after I'd installed a game from a CD. That was the first time the resolution changed and resetting to 1920 x 1080 wasn't even an option. It happened again after an auto update and restart.

I've done some trouble shooting, but I obviously haven't tried the right thing, and I'd rather not have to unplug and restart every time I need to reset the resolutiuon.

Running XP pro and I can try and provide any other details that might help.

What am I missing?

Edited by hamluis, 15 September 2013 - 02:44 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

My guess would be that the two devices...can only support the lower resolution...I've no experience with this but, logically, there is no way for Windows to transmit a higher resolution to a devce which only supports a lower resolution.

Just guessing...

FWIW:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/troubleshoot-multiple-monitor-problems

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 September 2013 - 02:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users