Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spywarequake

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jjstapes

jjstapes

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:25 PM

Hi,

i did everything in this thread:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...826.html#manual

but I still have spywarequake and all its popups.

Maybe I have a newer strain that isn't covered by that thread?
Note: My OS is installed into E:\ not C:\

Here's the Hijacthis log output:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:26:26 AM, on 26/04/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
E:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
E:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
E:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
E:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
E:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\Tmntsrv.exe
E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\tmproxy.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\dcomcfg.exe
E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PCClient.exe
E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\pccguide.exe
E:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
E:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
E:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PccPfw.exe
E:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
E:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe
E:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Nothing - {edbf1bc8-39ab-48eb-a0a9-c75078eb7c8e} - E:\WINDOWS\system32\hp88C7.tmp
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - E:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE E:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCClient.exe] "E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PCClient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\pccguide.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] E:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] E:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "E:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "E:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [googletalk] "E:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe" /autostart
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] E:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = E:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://E:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - E:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - E:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - E:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - E:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC...bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC...n/bin/cabsa.cab
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - E:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Nero AG - E:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - E:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Eastman Kodak Company - E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - E:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Personal Firewall (PccPfw) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PccPfw.exe
O23 - Service: Trend NT Realtime Service (Tmntsrv) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\Tmntsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service (tmproxy) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\tmproxy.exe

Thanks,
James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Thunder

Thunder

• Members
  • 3,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:34 AM

Hello James,

You're right, it is a new strain. :thumbsup:

It's better to print out the next instructions or save them in notepad, because you also have to work in safe mode without networking support, so this page wouldn't be available then.
It is also important you don't miss a step and perform everything in the right order!!

1. Download SmitfraudFix (by S!Ri)
Extract the content (a folder named SmitfraudFix) to your Desktop.

2. Download roguescanfix.exe to your desktop.
Doubleclick roguescanfix.exe to install.
This will create a new folder on your desktop called roguescanfix.
Do not use this yet!

3. Download Killbox by Option^Explicit.

Note: In the event you already have Killbox, this is a new version that I need you to download.
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Please double-click Killbox.exe to run it.
  • Select:
    • Delete on Reboot
    • then Click on the All Files button.
  • Please copy the file paths below to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose copy):C:\WINDOWS\system32\dcomcfg.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\stdole3.tlb
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\simpole.tlb
  • Return to Killbox, go to the File menu, and choose Paste from Clipboard.
  • Click the red-and-white Delete File button. Click Yes at the Delete on Reboot prompt. Click OK at any PendingFileRenameOperations prompt (and please let me know if you receive this message!).
If your computer does not restart automatically, please restart it manually.

If you receive a message such as: "Component 'MsComCtl.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." when trying to run Killbox, click here to download and run missingfilesetup.exe. Then try Killbox again.

4. Boot into safe mode:
Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8.
A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

5. Open the SmitfraudFix folder and double-click smitfraudfix.cmdSelect option #2 - Clean by typing 2 and press "Enter" to delete infected files.

You will be prompted : "Registry cleaning - Do you want to clean the registry ?"; answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter" in order to remove the Desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection.

The tool will now check if wininet.dll is infected. You may be prompted to replace the infected file (if found); answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter".

The tool may need to restart your computer to finish the cleaning process; if it doesn't, please restart again manually.
6. Reboot back into Windows, normal mode.

7. Open the roguescanfix folder and click: Run.bat
This tool needs internet connection so it can download an additional file to let the tool work properly.
If your firewall gives an alert, allow it instead of blocking it.
Let the tool perform its job.
The icons will disappear temporarely from your desktop, and reappear. This is normal.
Wait until the message Completed script execution is displayed, and click OK.
Click Exit to close down bfu.
Finally: click OK to start the Spyfalcon and/or Spywarequake uninstaller, and click uninstall.
WARNING: You will be asked to reboot your computer. Wait until the uninstallers did their job before clicking YES.

8. Open NotePad, copy and paste the text (in fat) below:REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\explorer\Run]
"dcomcfg.exe"=-

Go to File Menu > Save As, type "all files", as Fix.reg to your Desktop.
Exit from NotePad.

Double click on the file Fix.reg and click "Yes" to merge the file to Registry.

9. Post the report from Smitfraud fix, wich you can find here: C:\rapport.txt by using Add Reply,
as well as a new HijackThis log.

Greetings,
BMThor
Whatever happens, make believe it was intended to ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image - If I have helped you in any way, please consider a donation to help me continue the fight against malware.
Stand Up & Be Counted --> Posted Image <-- And make a difference

#3 jjstapes

jjstapes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:15 AM

Hi,

thank you very much.

Click the red-and-white Delete File button. Click Yes at the Delete on Reboot prompt. Click OK at any PendingFileRenameOperations prompt (and please let me know if you receive this message!).

No, I did not receive this message.

and, also, this never happened:

Finally: click OK to start the Spyfalcon and/or Spywarequake uninstaller, and click uninstall.
WARNING: You will be asked to reboot your computer. Wait until the uninstallers did their job before clicking YES.

After I "Clicked Exit to close down bfu", there was nothing left. I couldn't click ok. I hope this doesn't mean that it didnt work. But so far, I can't see the spywarequake popups anymore.

rapport.txt:

SmitFraudFix v2.35

Scan done at 22:55:18.45, Thu 27/04/2006
Run from E:\Documents and Settings\Wrathall\Desktop\SmitfraudFix

Killing process

Deleting infected files

E:\WINDOWS\system32\hp????.tmp Deleted
E:\WINDOWS\system32\sivudro.dll Deleted
E:\WINDOWS\system32\twain32.dll Deleted

Deleting Temp Files

Registry Cleaning

Registry Cleaning done.

End

hijackthis log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:15:01 PM, on 27/04/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
E:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
E:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
E:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PCClient.exe
E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\pccguide.exe
E:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
E:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
E:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
E:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\Tmntsrv.exe
E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\tmproxy.exe
E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PccPfw.exe
E:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
E:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe
E:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - E:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE E:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCClient.exe] "E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PCClient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\pccguide.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] E:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] E:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "E:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "E:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [googletalk] "E:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe" /autostart
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] E:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = E:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://E:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - E:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - E:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - E:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - E:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC...bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC...n/bin/cabsa.cab
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - E:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Nero AG - E:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - E:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Eastman Kodak Company - E:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - E:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Personal Firewall (PccPfw) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PccPfw.exe
O23 - Service: Trend NT Realtime Service (Tmntsrv) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\Tmntsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service (tmproxy) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\tmproxy.exe

Thank you very very very much for your help, and please let me know if some of my things were dodgy. E.g i didnt see that message, and i didnt get to run that uninstaller at the end. I dont know if that has anything to do with my OS being in E: as opposed to C: but i changed all the paths where they were needed.

Thanks again!!

James.

#4 Thunder

Thunder

• Members
  • 3,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:21 AM

Hello James,

Your log looks clean now. :thumbsup:

Not receiving those messages is not always a bad thing:
- The first one did not appear because Killbox did not experience any problems removing those files.
- The second message did not appear because no uninstaller was found anymore, probably because
using Grinler's selfhelp guide already took care of that.

I can tell you run a well protected PC, using a good antivirus program, firewall, mozilla firefox, ...
However, unfortunately, now and then some totally new malware program may slip through,
those things are hard to avoid, and that's when we're happy to lend a hand. :flowers:

I would like you to check one more thing:
Can you see, using Windows Explorer, if you find any trace of this file:C:\WINDOWS\system32\atmclk.exe
If you do, please delete it and empty your trash can.
Every now and then, it seems to tag along with the infection you took care off.

No problems anymore?

Greetings,
BMThor
Whatever happens, make believe it was intended to ...
Posted Image - If I have helped you in any way, please consider a donation to help me continue the fight against malware.
Stand Up & Be Counted --> Posted Image <-- And make a difference

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users