Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove everything and reinstall windows setting

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Josef1994

Josef1994

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

If I choose this option, the computer will do a clean format of the computer and reinstall windows 8. The question is will I need a CD of the windows 8 and a product key?

Thanks..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Korkel

Korkel

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

Hello,

I don't think you need a CD and a license key then, but yes, the computer will make a new "installation" without any pations, if you want patitions install with installation CD. :-)

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

Here are some tutorials we have here on BleepingComputer that should answer your question.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-of-windows-8/

Windows 8 provides a new feature that makes this process incredibly easy by erasing your data, reformatting your hard drive, and reinstalling Windows 8 at the press of a button. This new feature will allow you to erase your data by overwriting it numerous times with random patterns that make it very hard to recover any information off of your hard drive.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/reinstall-windows-8-using-refresh-your-pc/

Over time as you install new programs, install new hardware, and use your computer, Windows can start to become slower and encounter problems that are hard to fix. These problems could be unable to print, crashes, freezes, or hardware not working. In the past, to resolve these types of issues you would need to backup your data, reinstall the operating system, and then restore your data to the proper locations.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-custom-refresh-image-in-windows-8/

Windows 8 has the ability to reset your installation to factory defaults or to refresh your installation while retaining your data and settings. .... If you have installed a lot of applications, or do not have all the necessary installation disks, it can be an annoying and lengthy task to get your computer back up and running. This is where a new and useful feature saves the day. .......... This image will be a snapshot of the current state of Windows 8 and will include all applications that are currently installed on your computer. This allows you to create snapshots of Windows 8 over time and store them so that you can easily restore Windows 8 to various states if you run into an issue

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/

Windows 8 no longer includes the traditional Start Menu that Windows users have become associated with using. ... With this in mind, a free program called Classic Shell has been updated to support the ability to add a Start Menu to Windows 8.

Something I use myself.

Hopefully these tutorials will be helpful.

Other Windows 8 tutorials are located here. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-8/

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

Well my problem is that a week ago I refresh my pc using the setting found on windows 8 and now my computer has become slower, it crashed for a minute today and when I restarted it the configuring of windows began and it took like forever to load.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

Warning! Please read this first.
Be careful using the Reset as everything will be gone.

Secure erased if You choose that option.

If there is nothing on the computer You care to save why not try the first Tutorial I linked and choose the option to fully clean my drive. That is supposed to secure wipe the drive and then put windows back on the computer.

I tested both the refresh and Reset on this computer when I bought it, No Problems doing it. The reset put everything back as it came when I bought it. Drivers and bundled software.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

First of all thanks for helping me out,

So if I do a clean install no key is required, right?

Also, I found out that my computer had been telling me to restart the computer for two days in order to install some updates. Could it have been slow because of that?

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

I can not swear You won't need a key. I did not need one on this computer in my testing. However this one is a Brand name that uses a Special OEM activation as I understand it.

Your other question is easy to answer, Let it finish installing the updates by restarting. I always install the Windows security updates the day they become available.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

If your computer has a recovery partition and you use that to reinstall NO you should not need the key. I've reinstalled Windows on a lot of different computers and never had needed the key. The exception is custom built systems-they will use disks and you will need the key.

However, just to be on the safe side the key should be on a sticker somewhere on your computer. If it is not, you can use a program such as Belarc Advisor which will show you the key. http://www.belarc-advisor.org/?gclid=CKLS08XpzbkCFUlp7Aod6FYAzw

About those disks, if you do not have a custom system, you will be able to make a disk backup of the recovery partition. These are useful if you have to reinstall and for some reason cannot access the recovery partition. Again, with the disks you should not need the key. If you want to do this and need more information on how to do it, please post the make/model of your computer.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 September 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#9 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

I understand, so in my case...what do you suggest me to do?

#10 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

Another problem that has appeared is that when I do disk clean up of the system files, it says that I have 217MB of windows update files to delete and when I heat clean files the progress bar is successful and looks like I have deleted them. But when I run disk cleanup again, they are still there.

#11 Korkel

Korkel

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:45 AM

Another problem that has appeared is that when I do disk clean up of the system files, it says that I have 217MB of windows update files to delete and when I heat clean files the progress bar is successful and looks like I have deleted them. But when I run disk cleanup again, they are still there.

If you do a new install you can format the hard disk.

Warning! Please read this first.
When you format your hard disk you will lose everything! Make a backup of the things you want to keep first!

Useful information!
You can put the backup on an extern harddisk, don't backup programs, but re-install them. ;)

#12 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:55 AM

I know but should I do a clean install?

#13 Korkel

Korkel

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:27 AM

Up-to-you. I self should do it. :)

#14 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

It won't hurt my computer right?

You think that I should format it after just one week I did a reset?

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

Hi,

If You did a reset and not a refresh? The reset should leave You with a fresh as delivered or Installed Windows 8. I'm not sure why You are having problems. Have You scanned for malware and if so what software?

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users