Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Office 2010 has disappeared

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 quo

quo

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

Have just tried to open up my CV to apply for a job online and MS Office has sort of disappeared! I click onto my CV and get ACTIVATE, PURCHASE or TRY options. What's going on? The ACTIVATE "I already purchased Office 2010" option leads me to enter a 25-key number? Huh? Any genuine assistance sincerely appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 17 September 2013 - 12:39 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Business Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

System manufacturer and model?

See http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fileextensions/f/cvfile.htm .

Louis

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

Is this a fairly new or brand-new computer ? What could have happened here is that you have unknowingly been using a trial version - very common to find pre-installed on new computers - and the trial period has run out, so MS Office has stopped working. The 25 symbol key you are being asked for is an activation / registration key which you will have received if you have paid MS for the copy of Windows.

Solutions to the MS Office problem ? (1) Pay MS the license fee for the copy you have on your computer, or (2) Uninstall this version of Office and install any legal version for which you have an activation number, or (3) Uninstall MS Office and go with the free Open Office or Libre Office (both free downloads).

Even with regard to your CV, all is not lost - it exists separately from MS Office. Try searching MyDocs or wherever you keep your work for a file calling itself My_CV.docx - or whatever it was you called your CV. You can always copy it to a memory stick and open it on someone else's computer.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

top answer Chris :wizardball:

#5 quo

quo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:19 AM

System manufacturer and model?

See http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fileextensions/f/cvfile.htm .

Louis

Thank-you for your response. It's a Compaq. Model? Dunno exactly. I may have worded the opening post wrongly. All my files are still on my laptop saved with file extension docx.

#6 quo

quo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:36 AM

Is this a fairly new or brand-new computer ? What could have happened here is that you have unknowingly been using a trial version - very common to find pre-installed on new computers - and the trial period has run out, so MS Office has stopped working. The 25 symbol key you are being asked for is an activation / registration key which you will have received if you have paid MS for the copy of Windows.

Solutions to the MS Office problem ? (1) Pay MS the license fee for the copy you have on your computer, or (2) Uninstall this version of Office and install any legal version for which you have an activation number, or (3) Uninstall MS Office and go with the free Open Office or Libre Office (both free downloads).

Even with regard to your CV, all is not lost - it exists separately from MS Office. Try searching MyDocs or wherever you keep your work for a file calling itself My_CV.docx - or whatever it was you called your CV. You can always copy it to a memory stick and open it on someone else's computer.

Chris Cosgrove

Thank-you Chris & all,

This is a laptop purchased brand new May of 2011. Never shared and always password protected.

Does a trial period of 28 months or so sound about right?

My CV is still on my laptop and on SkyDrive in docx file extension.

What will the free downloads you suggest save it as?

Interestingly, said program shows on my HD as: MS Office Click-to-Run 2010 (Protected) (Q:)

Why?

Okay, I just tried and am still able to open and use and save to MS Word but not able to re-open.

Has someone somehow locked me out of MS Office?

I've a few jobs saved to apply for and really do appreciate any genuine assistance to pinpoint and overcome.

Thank-you for your time and attention.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,464 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

OK, to take your points in Post #6 in order.

Its definitely not a trial product !  Normal trial periods are 30 - 90 days depending on the whim of the supplier. However, you have the click-to-run version of Office 2010. I cheerfully admit I know very little about Office 2010 - I have used 2007 occasionally and my own version is 2003 ( Heavens, it's only two years since I updated from Office 97 ! ) but this knowledge article from MS casts some light on your problem and suggests places to find solutions :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982434

The fact that it has worked for you for over two years suggests that it is a valid licensed product, so you should have an activation key for it somewhere, take a long hard look around your files, it may be there somewhere. Failing that, a phone call to MS Support may well get you another one.

Libre Office certainly, and I think Open Office as well, has the native file format extension .ODT, but both will happily open virtually any word processing document you throw at them, and will save in a huge range of formats. Formats include : .TXT; .RTF; .DOC ( Office 97 - 2003 ); .DOCX (Office 2007 and later). The only weakness  that I know of is that sometimes when opening an XML type file (Office 2007 and later) formatting in the document is not always preserved, but this aspect has I believe, been improved with recent editions.

It is highly unlikely from what you say that anyone has locked you out of your Office, but a quick look at the knowledge base article referenced above suggests that your version of Office is a bit of an odd beast, with some specific requirements for it to work. Take a good look at the article.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 totaltechynumpty

totaltechynumpty

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

Hi, just discovered your site after doing a Google search to solve the very same problem. I've had my Acer desktop for about 3 years and logged on tonight to find exactly the same.

#9 totaltechynumpty

totaltechynumpty

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

WOW! really don't know how a computer numpty like me did it but at 2a.m I can finally go to bed!!

Followed the instructions for repairing office click to run products here http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/excel-help/update-repair-or-uninstall-office-click-to-run-products-HA010382089.aspx#_Toc272139013

and it's worked! YAY ME!!!

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,464 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for that solution TTN !  The answer to everything is simple, once you know the answer, but I also know that 2am feeling !  But I have made a  note  of that for future reference.

I see the link you posted references Excel. This just backs up everything I have always said about Office - Help in Excel works; if you are going to use Help in Word, you will get on better if you know what the answer is before you start looking.

Chris Cosgrove

#11 quo

quo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

Thank-yous! Followed an above link and issue repaired (for now) so next time, I guess, I may know what to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users