Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nonplussed

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SwordofDamocles

SwordofDamocles

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:46 PM

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie to Windows 7 after being a user of Windows XP for many years.

XP is a very good program but when I bought my new desktop, I thought that I may as well upgrade to Win 7.

But from the start, I noticed that many of my previous apps for XP, especially the third party type, just cannot work with Win 7.

In fact, it's going to be one long learning curve!

For a start, two apps which are very useful and work fine with XP, i.e. Blowfish CS encryption app and Alfaclock, a system tray clock, are unusable with Win 7.

Both these programs are very good in their class.

The system tray clock in Win 7 is nothing compared to the Alfaclock which I have been using for years!!!

Perhaps someone may know of the existence of newer versions of these apps which can be used for Win 7.

Or as an alternative, improvise on them to make them usable with Win 7.

Thank you.

Regards,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:47 AM

Windows 7 has a feature called Program Compatibility which can run some older software.

Make older programs run in this version of Windows

(Thanks to dc3 for the link)

#3 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

SwordofDamocles,

When I read your post, like noknojon, I thought maybe you haven't tried Windows 7's Troubleshoot Compatibility option. Right-click the program you want to run to see the option. With other programs I've tried using the Troubleshoot Compatibility option with the installer or tried installing normally and then running the installed program in different compatility modes. You can right-click the program's icon, select Properties, and go to the Compatibility tab to manually change the program's compatibility options.

Not long ago I searched for a clock program that has more options than what Windows 7's default clock provides. In the end I didn't find anything I liked and just changed some setting in Windows 7 that made the clock work more like what I wanted. I understand your frustration with getting a clock that does what you want it to do. I was curious about Alfaclock so I searched the web for Alfaclock Windows 7 and found a web page about BetaClock that was interesting.

#4 SwordofDamocles

SwordofDamocles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:24 PM

SwordofDamocles,

When I read your post, like noknojon, I thought maybe you haven't tried Windows 7's Troubleshoot Compatibility option. Right-click the program you want to run to see the option. With other programs I've tried using the Troubleshoot Compatibility option with the installer or tried installing normally and then running the installed program in different compatility modes. You can right-click the program's icon, select Properties, and go to the Compatibility tab to manually change the program's compatibility options.

Not long ago I searched for a clock program that has more options than what Windows 7's default clock provides. In the end I didn't find anything I liked and just changed some setting in Windows 7 that made the clock work more like what I wanted. I understand your frustration with getting a clock that does what you want it to do. I was curious about Alfaclock so I searched the web for Alfaclock Windows 7 and found a web page about BetaClock that was interesting.

There are Alfaclock apps turned up by Google but they are not the real Mccoy!

In fact, it's quite dangerous to download software nowadays because there are many programs and apps out there masquerading as the real stuff!

I have, for instance, just been fooled by a Blowfish CS encryption program which I downloaded which turned out to be a malicious program.

When I tried to launch the program, nothing happened!

And when I tried to delete the download icon on the desktop, nothing happened!

Finally, I did a scan with the AVG anti-virus program which detected a malicious program which it deleted.

Although AVG did not state what program it detected, I finally managed to get rid of the desktop icon.

It was quite a harrowing experience for me, a newbie!!!

Thank you.

Regards,

#5 SwordofDamocles

SwordofDamocles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

SwordofDamocles,

Yeah, I have tried that but it only caters for Windows operating systems which are newer than XP.

So, no luck there.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:17 AM

you may find TrueCrypt a good option for Blowfish, depending on your use.

#7 SwordofDamocles

SwordofDamocles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

you may find TrueCrypt a good option for Blowfish, depending on your use.

It seems that the authors of Blowfish CS and Alfaclock programs may have abandoned them.

I was just wondering whether anyone can really delve into these programs and then come up with similar or even better ones.

It is quite surprising to find that even after Windows 7 has been launched for such a considerable time, there is still a dearth of upgrades of existing programs or newer and better ones to replace those for XP.

This is especially true for Windows 7 64bit.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

I am actually at a loss on why a clock program exists, my machine tells the time accurately, so does my phone, and if I was really concerned I would buy a watch. :scratchhead:

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:58 PM

AlfaClock Free < from this link is still available in the latest version.
Click the Download in the square above the Ratings Stars.
There are several advertising downloads also on that site, so be careful.

Enjoy -

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:05 AM

it does look kind of cool, I have to admit. :orange:

#11 SwordofDamocles

SwordofDamocles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:31 AM

I am actually at a loss on why a clock program exists, my machine tells the time accurately, so does my phone, and if I was really concerned I would buy a watch. :scratchhead:

Yes, Microsoft also provides a clock and calendar.

But these are not very configurable.

And they are in tiny fonts.

If you have 20/20 eyesight, perhaps there'll be no problem.

But if you are elderly, it is problematic.

That's why third party apps are so popular!!

That's why add-ons in Firefox attracted thousands of users!

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

Thanks

Sometimes I can't see the trees for the forest. Nice to get it from another perspective

#13 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

I am actually at a loss on why a clock program exists, my machine tells the time accurately, so does my phone, and if I was really concerned I would buy a watch.

When I was looking for a clock replacement I wanted something that would show local time in 12 hr format and the time of another time zone in 24 hr format on the taskbar in the usual place of the Windows clock. I use a forum that timestamps posts in 24 hr format in a different time zone.

Edited by Windont, 18 September 2013 - 12:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users