Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS office 2013 corrupting files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Janey28

Janey28

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

Hi there,

On Thursday (12th Sept) I restarted my computer (windows 8) to let windows updates take effect. I then went to open a word document and it read that it couldn't be opened because "there was a problem with its contents". Under details it said "the file was corrupt and cannot be opened". When you click ok, it asks if you want to try to recover the file. I clicked yes but again there was a problem with the contents and the details said that "some parts were missing or invalid". I then tried to open other word documents and excel files and all with the same problem. I've also noticed in the preview pane, it is missing certain properties like how many pages there are.

I've tried:

• Repairing office
  • Uninstalling it and installing a 2007 version
  • Repairing the file 
  • Opening it on another computer
  • Uninstalling the windows updates
  • Using salvage software
  • Scanning for viruses
  • System restore (the restore point was corrupted for some reason and it didn't work)

For a brief period, all my files were able to be opened again so I do have recent backups, but the issue is that it keeps corrupting any documents I upload and save after the computer is turned off/restarted.
However, I did start a new document and that is still yet to be corrupted even when other files uploaded after that was made have become corrupted.

Any ideas? Is this just an update that messed with my program?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

You say you tried system restore and the restore point was corrupted? Did you get any error codes or error messages with that? That suggests your registry or certain system files may be corrupt. The fact that the office files are corrupt and can't be fixed, and that it happened after you installed new updates, seems to back that up.

In short, this may be symptomatic of larger issues on your system. You may want to run sfc/scannow from the command prompt.

#3 Janey28

Janey28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:12 AM

Okay so I ran the sfc/scannow and it came back with files that it couldn't repair.
I checked the CBS log and it was with "CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf or something to that effect. I've since googled this and have run the dism image check prompt that was floating around as a solution and no such luck.

If I were to reset/refresh windows 8, could that fix things up?
Any other possible solutions?

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

If the sfc came back stating there are files it couldn't repair, you're only option is to do a repair installation from the recovery partition or the installation disk.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:22 PM

Just to amend my earlier post -- you can only to a repair install from an installation disk. If you don't have one, you'll have to get one from the computer's manufacturer.

#6 Janey28

Janey28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

So I ended up refreshing my Windows 8 and, so far, no files have been further corrupted. All the files on my computer that were corrupted couldn't be recovered, however, I had backups so not a big deal.

Fingers crossed everything stays good. Thanks heaps for your help! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users