Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop won't pick up wireless connection

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheJBizz

TheJBizz

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:11 PM

Hello!

I have an HP p6774y motherboard running Windows 7. The wireless LAN card was fully functioning, but I had disabled it through the network connections window about a couple months ago because it didn't allow me to connect by ethernet. I'm currently in a position where I can't have an ethernet connection, but there is a wireless router giving a signal. However, even after re-enabling the wireless card, my computer won't recognize any connections at all. I know that the router works because there is a laptop that is connected to the signal. I've run the diagnostic tool on it and found nothing. The BIOS says that the card is on, and it was capable of picking up connections before. I've restarted the computer after re-enabling it, but no luck. I recently updated the drivers, and can't seem to find any for the wireless card in particular.

Is there anything I can do?

Edited by TheJBizz, 14 September 2013 - 10:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:13 PM

HP has a wireless assistant program. You need to find that on your system and turn it on. Should fix you right up.

#3 TheJBizz

TheJBizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:42 PM

HP has a wireless assistant program. You need to find that on your system and turn it on. Should fix you right up.

I downloaded the Wireless Assistant program from the HP website (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-45933-1), installed it, and restarted my comp. Every time I run it, nothing happens. Trying to run it from the folder its in does nothing. I don't think I did anything wrong installing it - no errors appeared and it was installed to C:/.

#4 TheJBizz

TheJBizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

Just a quick bump. If this won't work out, I'll just have to bite the pillow and buy a long ethernet cable.

Edit: I tried reinstalling the wireless network drivers and restarting, but to no avail.

Edited by TheJBizz, 16 September 2013 - 08:03 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,385 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:26 PM

Worth a look, Cannot Connect To Wireless Network .

Louis

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

Did you make sure the WLAN Auto Config and WLAN service is turned on and set to Automatic under Services.msc? It might also need to be set to run at Startup under MSCONFIG.

#7 TheJBizz

TheJBizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

Did you make sure the WLAN Auto Config and WLAN service is turned on and set to Automatic under Services.msc? It might also need to be set to run at Startup under MSCONFIG.

I never knew that this was a thing, but I've just checked it. The Auto Config is set to automatic, and I can't seem to find the WLAN service. The "WAWifiMessage" and "hpWirelessAsssistant" is set to startup, and I don't know how to add or remove anything or what to even add in the first place.

Worth a look, Cannot Connect To Wireless Network .

Louis

I can't help but feel like resetting the modem and router wouldn't affect anything because other computers can connect and disconnect just fine. The diagnostics can't identify the problem. The network adapters and connections are enabled. The drivers for the WLAN are the latest, as are the BIOS. I can't really move my computer any more than where it's at, so if it's intereference then there's nothing to be done. I would try to manually connect to the the network, but I have no idea how to find info like the security and encryption type or the security key. I know the name and that it's an unpassworded network, but that's all.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,385 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

FWIW:  A working driver...doesn't have to be the latest, it just has to work properly.  Many system uwers don't seem to understand this.

When something that previously worked properly...suddenly doesn't work properly, chances are pretty good that the device drivers have become damaged or the device is dysfunctional.

Uninstalling the existing drivers...and then reinstalling same (not necessarily the newest)...overcomes the file corruption that is a common item among drivers, be they device, AV, etc.

Updating won't do the job...uninstall the drivers and then reinstall.

Louis

#9 TheJBizz

TheJBizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

FWIW:  A working driver...doesn't have to be the latest, it just has to work properly.  Many system uwers don't seem to understand this.

When something that previously worked properly...suddenly doesn't work properly, chances are pretty good that the device drivers have become damaged or the device is dysfunctional.

Uninstalling the existing drivers...and then reinstalling same (not necessarily the newest)...overcomes the file corruption that is a common item among drivers, be they device, AV, etc.

Updating won't do the job...uninstall the drivers and then reinstall.

Louis

It makes sense that newest drivers aren't always the best. As far as I've seen, however, the drivers I have are the *only* drivers for this motherboard. The last update for any of the drivers was the BIOS in I think 2011, and there has been no update on the WLAN driver since the original. I managed to get a long enough ethernet cable (which was the most ideal), but I can try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver and report back.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,385 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

It won't hurt anything...and may cure something.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users