Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble merging deleted recovery partition with boot partition

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MRich520

MRich520

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

The recovery partition on my Razer Blade 14" was taking up a whopping 16 GB of my 128 GB SSD, so I moved its data to a USB stick and deleted the partition using the Disk Manager. I'd like to be able to add those now-unallocated 16 GB of storage to the main (boot) partition on my hard drive that has Windows 8 and all of my files, but because the 16 GB are listed to the left of that main partition, I can't extend the main partition into the unallocated space. Any idea how I can work around this? I'd prefer not to have to split my files between two separate partitions when I run out of space on the main one.

Attached File  DiskMgmt.PNG   18.73KB   2 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

download Partition Wizard. It will allow you to shuffle the partitions so that the unallocated space will be next to the drive you need. You can only merge adjacent partitions.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:48 AM

Any number of partition managers will allow such.  Please...read the instructions for using whatever program...before you start fooling around.

EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition freeware. - http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Louis

#4 MRich520

MRich520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I've been toying with these programs for a while and I think I've found a solution, but I want to run it by you all first.

As shown by the picture in my original post: Between the unallocated 16 GB and the main C: partition is the EFI System Partition, which holds the BIOS for my computer. If I delete that, my computer of course won't boot. And neither EaseUS nor Partition Magic will let me move the EFI System Partition to the left of the unallocated space (so that I'd be able to extend the unallocated space into C:, solving my problem).

Instead of deleting the EFI System Partition, I'm thinking I could copy it into the unallocated space, then delete the old EFI System Partition. At that point I'd have, from left to right, "EFI System Partition," "Unallocated Space (16GB)," and "C:". And then I could merge the unallocated space with C: since they'd be adjacent.

But this seems risky to me. Since I don't know if the copied EFI System Partition (which, again, carries the BIOS) would be in some way different from the original EFI System Partition (which I would have deleted), it seems possible that the BIOS would stop working if I carried this out, rendering my computer inoperable.

So, does anybody know how I can safely "move" (copy and delete) the EFI System Partition without breaking my computer?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

Over my head :), I don't know anything about EFI.

It it were me...I'd just move the unallocated space...to a position after the Windows partition...if possible.  I haven't used Easeus in some time but I believe that electing any partition with the resize/move option...brings up a screen where you can determine how much unallocated is before and after the partition.  I would simply select the EFI partition (using said option) and move the unallocated to the right, with a slight...then do the same for the Windows partition.  The result should the unallocated space to the right of both partitions.

No need to fool with copy/paste.

Louis

#6 MRich520

MRich520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

Well...that's a lot simpler than I was making it out to be. Thanks hamluis.

But now that I've done what you said, it looks like there's another partition that's been between C: and the unallocated space. It never showed up in Microsoft's Disk Management, only in Partition Wizard and EaseUS.  And when I click on this partition in Partition Wizard, there's no option to move or resize it. My only options are to delete or copy it. Its type is listed as "Reserved Partition". It's 128 MB big. 

Agh, I feel like I'm almost there but this one thing's standing in my way.  I'm not even sure what it (the reserved partition) is for. Maybe I could try the copy-delete method I outlined earlier for the EFI system partition.

Suggestions? 

Attached Files

Edited by MRich520, 15 September 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

Considering the complexity introduced by UEFI, it might be better to re-install Windows the way you want it. For a discussion of moving the EFI System Partition, see here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/241974-system-wont-boot-after-removing-second-hard-drive-efi.html

In comparison, what you would need to do to move the System Reserved Partition on a normal NTFS/MBR system:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=409

As that article warns: "Do not attempt to perform this procedure on UEFI systems"

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

Yes, I actually would recommend Partition Master, though I thought Partition Wizard was more user-friendly.

You don't need to move the System partition- Just move the unallocated space to the right of C: or Move C: to the left of the unallocated space. I have done this several times without an issue, though I can't remember ever doing this with a EFI partition.

Here's your 128 Reserved Partition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Reserved_Partition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users