Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway Laptop HD not starting

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chestnut212

chestnut212

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

My husband has a Gateway laptop NV79, Windows 7

CPU: Intel Core i3 CPU, 2.13 GHz

HDD Model Name:  ST9500325AS, 500 GB

The laptop was running fine until some point yesterday when he attempted to start up, and he got a message "could not find a disk to boot". Today when I try to start the laptop, there is just a blank screen. I can't get to safe mode, but can get into setup or the boot menu. It is setup to boot from the HD first. I don't have a boot CD to use. I don't know if this is a HD failure or an infection. Help!

Regards,
Barbara

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

to explain it simply, the computer can no longer see the hard drive. I would not panic yet. You should take the laptop down to a shop. They will pull the hard drive and check to make sure it is functioning. If you have not already made a backup they may be able to pull the data off of it.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

I would not take the drive or system anywhere :).

If there is another system in the house...the hard drive can be removed and attached to the second system...first, for attempted data retrieval purposes...second, to run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic to determine functional status of the drive.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

I only mentioned taking it to a shop if you did not feel comfortable attempt to work on it yourself. You can certainly test the hard drive if you have another computer available.

#5 chestnut212

chestnut212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

I removed the hard drive from the laptop and used the Sea Gate tools for DOS with another system to try to diagnose the problem drive, but only the hard drive from the external system was recognized. Is there any other means of recovering the data and/or the hard drive?

Thanks,

Barbara

Regards,
Barbara

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

The SeaTools diagnostic...won't save any data, won't repair any problems.  Its purpose is to inform you of the functional status of the hard drive, nothing else.

Inability of the tool to detect your drive...is not a good thing.

Your chances of recovering data, at this point...look slim to me but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Data Recovery , GParted, AA - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic474881.html

Data Recovery Using Puppy Linux, Brooks - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489067/dual-boot-system-bluescreens-1-of-my-startup-choices/

Louis

#7 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

Do you know if SMART was enabled? Did your husband get a warning message during boot, before this happened? Did anyone make any changes to BIOS? How about removing/changing drivers? Disabling/uninstalling a hard drive driver will make a drive unbootable in rare cases.

Is the drive visible in the secondary system when running Windows?

Do you know if the laptop was recently dropped?

#8 chestnut212

chestnut212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

Netghost56, SMART was enabled. The laptop had been on and working in our home office that morning. My husband went in to use it, and there was a black screen with a message to the effect "could not find a disk to boot."

Nothing was changed recently on the computer, and it was not dropped. I'll check to see if the drive is visible on the secondary system when Windows is running, but I doubt it.

Regards,
Barbara

#9 chestnut212

chestnut212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

Louis, I will try the data recovery methods in your post within the next few days. I will post the results. Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,
Barbara

#10 chestnut212

chestnut212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

Sorry for the late response, but we had to purchase a new hard drive and were unable to recover data from the old one. My husband had backed up most of his data, so it could have been much worse. Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Barbara

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

Sorry you could not recover data, but the fact that the diagnostic reflected nothing was an indicator of what to expect.

I'm compelled the mention the importance of doing routine backups because...hard drives are the system component most likely to fail at any given moment...and that's where every bit of data on a system rests.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users