Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple probs w/crashed HD plus backing up my C: files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Astrovel

Astrovel

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

To keep my C: drive files intact until I can save them before the new Win 7 install, I have purchased but not rec'd yet a new 200 gig external HD. This is because in the process of trying to burn the C: files, my 500 gig HD crashed. Device manager says it needs a driver so I go to the Hitachi website and download this huge file that didn't help one bit. When I tried another way of obtaining the driver, Hitachi says this HD doesn't need a driver, that it is attached to the motherboard or main processor (or something like that) and to contact the manufacturer of the processor. No thanks. During this process, all of a sudden, the F: drive which is the 500 gig HD, no longer shows up in the computer. I ran a troubleshooter through Windows and it says that everything is working correctly. (Just no F: drive) But now Windows is saying I need a driver for my power management system from Toshiba. I think this is the same huge file I downloaded thinking it was a Hitachi driver. What I don't understand is what Toshiba has to do with this computer since it is a desktop and is definitely not a Toshiba. Why would Toshiba be involved in power management on a Microsoft computer? I didn't download this driver Windows says I need.
I did a physical restore back to the 12th, 3 days ago and it removed the huge file and put me back to normal except NO F: drive. I had to download 7 Windows updates again but other than that everything looks OK. Except NO F: drive.
I did a Malware scan and found 3 PUP files but I don't think those are the problem with my inoperative F:drive which was working just fine a few days ago.

After I get the C: files copied over to the new external HD, what else do I need to do to install a clean install of Win 7? Do I have to delete the version I have in here now? I'll tackle trying to get my locked files out of the 500 gig HD later on.
I appreciate your help and support.
V

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:31 PM

I have followed this from your original post about CD/DVD burning software. Let's look at the problem of your 500Gb drive first - this is the important one, it's got your data on it.

There are at least two ways to see if the data on your disc is OK or not. One is to take it out of your computer, connect it into another one and then see (1) if the drive is recognised and (2) if you can see your files. Windows Explorer will do nicely for this. If you can see your files in Windows Explorer, the drive is almost certainly OK. Leave it out of your computer until you have that back up and running properly again.

The other way is to use a Live Linux Cd. I can recommend Puppy Linux, the file you want to download is called 'lupu-525.iso', and you can get it from here :

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Obviously, you will need to use a different computer for this. The file comes as an ISO image file and you need to burn the files NOT the image to a disc. The Puppy Linux web-site has a lot of helpful advice on how to use it. Essentially, it will boot your computer and then you will be able to see the drives on you computer and their contents. Again, if you can see the contents, they are almost certainly OK, but you can use Puppy to back them up to an external drive. I have done this effectively and safely in the past.

Once you have satisfied yourself that your files are OK, even if you use the Puppy route, I would suggest that you remove the power and data connections to your 'F' drive before going any further.

You said in your other post that you believe your OS is Mickey Mouse and you are going to replace it with a legit one.

Power up the computer, open a CD drive, put the disc in and re-start. The computer will boot from the disc and ask if you want to repair or install. In your case, choose 'Install', and then just follow the on-screen instructions. It will automatically format the 'C' drive as it does this. This means you will have all your applications to re-install, and all the updates since your genuine disc was printed. Fun !  Once this process is finished, switch your computer off and reconnect the 'F' drive.

I still think 'Free Easy Burner' is a great piece of software - I'll need to check the source reference I gave you.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users