Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Buy A Domain Name That Some One Is Selling

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Temo

Temo

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:42 PM

Okay, there is this site in the internet (No-duh) and the guy is selling it... he does have a offer but I was woudering some basic stuff...

1) How much should I buy the site for?
2) What is the best way to pay him and get my domain name register to me?

also do I need a server at that moment?? or can it be after I buy it??
The biggest pain in this world is Debuging!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:56 AM

If you go thru a hosting company hey will handle all the paper work for you. Actually it is all faxed. The hosting company will generally allow you to 'Park" your domain for 30 to 90 days with no addional fees. I used ZoneEdit several years ago. They were quite reasonable.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:38 AM

As to your other question 'How much should I buy it for' sort of depends. Is it a highly unique site? Is it active? For what purpose do you intend to use it. For example, if it is an already active site and you decide to park it for 30 days, then you will lose all of the activity, and the site will not be worth anything. It's hard to say what would be a reasonable price. Check on line for domain auctions...look and see what others are paying for similar sites.

In addition to hiring someone to handle your domains, there are a couple sites that will allow you to handle the details yourself, so it is actually free. I manage my domains through afraid.org. There is a bit of a learning curve, but once you figure it out, it is not too difficult.

Once you pay him for the site (is Paypal a viable option for you?), then he will have to transfer the domain to you. And once he does, then you will have to go to that registrar and verify that the domain isn't about to expire or something. Just to be clear, the domain name is leased. You are buying the lease from him. The registrar still owns the name, so if you pay $500 or something for the domain, and the registration expires the day after, somebody else can come along and poach it. Then you would be out money and a domain. ;)

EDIT: And for my clarification, do you get all of the web pages, etc. that go with it? After re-reading your question, it sort of sounds like it. And in that case, you will need to know what the backend is like. Is it all static HTML pages, or is it .asp, or servlets, or .xml? Do you have the knowledge to maintain whatever the package contains?

I should have stated before that purchase of the domain is only a part of the picture.

#4 Temo

Temo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:56 PM

Okay... I ask offer him $10 US dollars for a site. The site is almost inative... mainly some banners and nothing speacial.

So yeah... Would someone guide me more into the handeling of the domain and the money... I really don't want to get scam..

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:36 PM

Then if there is no real content, why not just buy your own doamin name? I use GoDaddy.com.. mine cost $18.95 for two years, and I can leave them parked there until I need them. It's not hard at all. You search for a domain name that you want, see if it has been taken, and if not, then you can buy it. Once you decide to get a site up and going, you can either manage the domains yourself, or you can pay GoDaddy to do it for you (or any other number of DNS management companies). As I mentioned before though, you can do it yourself if you don't mind getting your hands dirty (and actually learning something in the process).

As an aside, if you really want to buy that his person's website, check the expiration date on the registration first. Again, if you pay him $10 for the site, and the domain expires next week, you wil have to pay to register it again anyway (and you would still be better off buying a fresh name). And if the content is nothing special, then you could probably whip up your own site with minimal fuss.

If you have a broadband connection, you can host your own web pages. It depends on how many people you think might visit your web site. There are plenty of free places to host web pages, but you are quite restricted on what you can do with them. Still, unless you want to pay for hosting, that might be your only option.

Take a look at the GoDaddy site and see what things are about. GoDaddy was recommended to me, and I have ben quite happy with them, and their support. IMHO, you get alot of bang for your buck. If you have any more specific questions about how it works, feel free to ask. I'm not any huge expert, but I have learned quite a bit about how everything fits together.

#6 Temo

Temo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:52 PM

I got this email for the owner... She only wrote a quote and it said "Ignorance is innocence - stupidity comes with experience" - Proverb quotes"

So I did some reseach and I found this page
http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/...d2005-1292.html

<quote>and if you read enought you should encounter this part..
The website advertises the <temo.com> domain name as being for sale and in response to an inquiry from Complainant, Respondent offered to sell the domain name to Complainant for first $11,000 and then $10,000.</quote>

So I think my $10 US Dollars are totally useless

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:03 PM

Judging by that complaint, yeah. She won the lawsuit, and is betting that the company will buy it out from her in order to protect their trademark.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users