Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why core i5?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

Ok, so other than the cost effectiveness of it, why are most custom gaming builds using the core i5 instead of i7? I've always thought the core i3 was a glorified celery processor (celeron) core i5 was a reboot of the core 2duo and core i7 was the way to go. But you see these recommended gaming builds on tomshardware and other sites, even the "building the ultimate gaming pc" and the budget is like 2k they still grab a core i5. Why is that?

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

As I've been told, by several gamers. For strictly a gaming build i5 is more than sufficent. i7 has hyperthreading which games don't make use of. But from a game performance level the cost for an i7 does not give you sufficient return on investment.

I don't game but thats the recurring reason I've been told.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Zestypanda

Zestypanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

Ok,but I also do CAD and blender and rip DVDs and I bought a core i7 laptop, so like, idk if I would notice a real performance hit if I had gotten a core i5 because I've never used a core i5

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#4 lti

lti

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

i7 has hyperthreading which games don't make use of.

They all have hyperthreading. Even the Core i3 in my laptop (which is slower than most Core 2 Duo CPUs) has it.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:53 AM

i7 has hyperthreading which games don't make use of.

They all have hyperthreading. Even the Core i3 in my laptop (which is slower than most Core 2 Duo CPUs) has it.

The desktop line of i3 and i5 do not have hyperthreading since the 1st generation of the i series. 

Ok,but I also do CAD and blender and rip DVDs and I bought a core i7 laptop, so like, idk if I would notice a real performance hit if I had gotten a core i5 because I've never used a core i5

An i7 would help if you also did those task as it relies on the processor to complete the task and the time of completion would be dependent on the processing power of the processor. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:31 AM

Hi

i3 is basically dual core with hyper threading enabled and i5 is quad core with turbo boost function (HT not available). i7 do have both HT and turbo boost and is suited for high CPU hungry tasks. Most games works fine on a basic quad core CPU like i5 with stock clock speed. i7 is fine for gaming but choosing that won't give any major performance improvement in FPS as modern games are GPU hungry than CPU hungry.

Intel dual core = Basic two core CPU (HT and Turbo boost disabled) 

Intel i3              = Two core CPU with HT enabled (Hyper Threading)

Intel i5              = Quad core ( and some dual core models) CPU with Turbo boost enabled (HT disabled)

Intel i7              = Quad core (and hexa core) with HT and Turbo boost (all goodies available)

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/386100/what_difference_between_an_intel_core_i3_i5_i7_/

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 16 September 2013 - 05:37 AM.

#7 lti

lti

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

I didn't know that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users