Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSODs & reboot problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cgoo

cgoo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

I've been having BSOD & reboot problems. I made a post in the Windows 7 forums, but it was suggested that I post here.

Here's a link to my previous post:

So far I have done a memtest with no errors after several passes, I did a disk check with SeaTools, repaired bad sectors, and even switched the hard drive out with another.

I started having graphics problems (black, flickering, horizontal lines), so I switched out my graphics card. Graphic artifacts gone, but still having BSOD and reboots.

Not showing super hot temps. ~50c on CPU, 40 on graphics card during fairly heavy load, but usually have the BSODs and reboots during heavy usage (opening programs like Chrome, games, etc)

HWMonitor shows some low voltages for +12V and +5V VCCH, though that's not completely reliable. My bios only shows the +5V and +12V, but shows voltage is fine for those 2. Could the psu be going bad, and that may have caused my graphics card to go bad as well?

The only other two things I can think of are the CPU and motherboard.

On my old post, there are minidumps, miniboxtools results and speccy, though these were made before my hard drive & graphics card switch. I can post new ones if needed.

Hoping someone can help me diagnose the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

HI

What you are experiencing is a STOP 0x124 error which is generally caused by hardware issues. What this error code means a CPU detected a fatal error and called bugcheck function to stop all system operation to prevent data loss.

BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa8007d6c028, f2000000, 20008f}

Probably caused by : hardware

Troubleshooting this particular BSOD issue is very hard because replacing hardware components one by one is necessary to find the root cause.

Usual causes : Overheating CPU, Overclocked CPU or RAM, contact issues between components, failing CPU , failing motherboard , PSU failing under load etc. 

In your case neither CPU nor RAM seems to be overclocked but the CPU seems to be running on turbo frequency (which is usually safe and not problematic). 

Please try the below steps.

:step1: Reset the system.

By resetting i mean disassemble all the major peripherals like CPU, graphic card etc and all connectors and refit them to avoid potential connection issues. Also remove the old CPU thermal paste and apply Arctic silver.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Silver-5-3-5g-gram-Thermal-Paste-Grease-20-uses-/390343907573

:step2: Update BIOS.

Here is the direct download link to the latest BIOS.

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/BIOS/motherboard_bios_ga-p55-usb3_f10g.exe

After updating BIOS, enter setup and load optimized defaults.

:step3: Run CPU stress test.

1. Download Prime95 from the below link.

http://www.mersenne.info/gimps/p95v279.win64.zip

2. Extract the archive and run the tool. Select Just Stress testing in the first window.

124396d1292674067-hardware-stress-test-p

3. Select small FFTs in the next window and press OK.

124395d1292674067-hardware-stress-test-p

4.  Go to Advanced menu and select Round off checking.

87940d1280318100t-hardware-stress-test-p

Try to run Prime95  for two hours. As this test uses a lot of CPU power, you may encounter blue screens in the middle. You will find the result of tests in a file named Result.txt which will be on the same directory the program runs. Attach it with your next reply.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 15 September 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#3 cgoo

cgoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for the response.

I did everything as instructed. There were no blue screens or other problems during the CPU stress test. The results are attached. However, wanting to check if any of this happened to solve this, I loaded up a game and had a reboot within a few minutes.

Attached Files

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:14 AM

Hi

Prime95 test looks fine and that is a good thing. Let us hope CPU is not a problem here. Please try the below steps.

:step1: Run Processor diagnostics.

Intel provides an official diagnostic tool to test their processors. Please download and run it to make sure the CPU is fine.

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm

:step2: Export event logs.

Sometimes event log may contain WHEA logs which might give clues on which hardware part is throwing machine check exception. To export it, please follow the below instructions.

1. Hit Start and type in eventvwr.msc:

aa00097-300x140.png

2. Select Windows logs -->System category. Now go to Action menu and choose Save all events as.. and give a name of your choice. Upload it with the next reply.

aa00088.png

Can you borrow a known good power supply for testing ?. Did you experience BSOD issue under normal system operation ? (other than gaming).

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 16 September 2013 - 01:18 AM.

#5 cgoo

cgoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

I attached the event log and the results from the diagnosis are linked below. I'm using a usb wifi adapter, so there's some warnings when I was removing it and what not. There's also an error from a missing cdrom, I think that's from when I reset the computer and forgot to reconnect the dvd player.

I might be able to borrow a power supply, have to check and see if there's a sufficient power supply I can get my hands on.

Yeah, I do get both BSODs and reboots. Sometimes I'd have a bunch of programs open already and I open another one up and I guess I just hit the limit that can be handled by whatever is being a problem and have a BSOD/reboot. I've noticed this happening more frequently when opening up Chrome with a bunch of tabs from previous use. EDIT: I felt like I should clarify what is a 'bunch of tabs.' Maybe like 8+ tabs.

This is the eventlog: http://www.sendspace.com/file/zgivnw

Attached Files

Edited by cgoo, 16 September 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hi

Unfortunately,there is no WHEA logger events can be seen. I suspect either a bad PSU or motherboard but swapping with a known good one is the only way to test them. I hope you will get a testing PSU soon.

Meanwhile, read the below guide. 

http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lockup-debug-how/35349-stop-0x124-what-means-what-try.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users