Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron will not boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hettydk

Hettydk

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:46 PM

HI, My son's  1 year old Dell Inspiron N5050 will not boot, after the first screen with the Dell logo loads we get an error message that reads " A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reRECOVERY. "   When we follow those directions it just returns back to the Dell logo screen and the same message loop. F8 will not work however F2 setup   and F 12  boot options do. I'm really not sure what to do at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specifics:

Dell Inspiron N5050

Intell core i3-2350M CPU @2.30GHZ

2300 MHz

Windows 7 64bit

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Korkel

Korkel

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

It seems a problem with your HDD, did something went wrong before?

#3 Hettydk

Hettydk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

Not that I am aware of.

#4 Korkel

Korkel

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:49 AM

Did you change anything on your computer before you got this?

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:10 AM

Hi -

Is there important data on the computer, or is it OK to do a reinstall from the built in back-up ?

Thank You -

#6 Hettydk

Hettydk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:17 AM

About 6 months ago he had several viruses so I updated Avast and cleaned it up.  He's 12 but he really only uses it to get on the internet so there is nothing important at all that needs to be saved. A working laptop is all that is important.  I should tell you however that I did not make a windows repair disk like I should have.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

FWIW:  http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/206722-factory-restore-dell-inspiron-n5050.html

Louis

#8 Korkel

Korkel

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

About 6 months ago he had several viruses so I updated Avast and cleaned it up.  He's 12 but he really only uses it to get on the internet so there is nothing important at all that needs to be saved. A working laptop is all that is important.  I should tell you however that I did not make a windows repair disk like I should have.

You are sure the computer is clean now? You can otherwise, if you think you got malware on the computer help here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

#9 RaviAtDell

RaviAtDell

Authorized Dell Rep

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

Hi Hettydk,

I would suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

Please let me know the findings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users