Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where to find BSOD information back?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Korkel

Korkel

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

Hello,

On a computer I got a BSOD, but where can I find the information back, after a restart. :P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

First...you must ensure that you have elected to create such files.  See the instuctions for doing so (Win 7) at Configure Windows To Create Dump Files On BSOD - http://blog.nirsoft.net/2010/07/27/how-to-configure-windows-to-create-minidump-files-on-bsod/ .

Once that is done...you can use the BlueScreenView tool...or you can try to decipher the .dmp files reflecting the data in a somewhat not-easy-to-interpret format.

If you use the BlueScreenView tool...you can paste the reults here and someone will try to assist.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .
Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#3 aztony

aztony

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

Hello,

On a computer I got a BSOD, but where can I find the information back, after a restart. :P

If you are trying to determine what caused the bsod you can go into Control Panel, click on Administrative Tools, click on Event Viewer and check Windows Logs.

#4 Korkel

Korkel
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

First...you must ensure that you have elected to create such files.  See the instuctions for doing so (Win 7) at Configure Windows To Create Dump Files On BSOD - http://blog.nirsoft.net/2010/07/27/how-to-configure-windows-to-create-minidump-files-on-bsod/ .

Once that is done...you can use the BlueScreenView tool...or you can try to decipher the .dmp files reflecting the data in a somewhat not-easy-to-interpret format.

If you use the BlueScreenView tool...you can paste the reults here and someone will try to assist.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .
Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

Don't need any help, just want see it. :P

Hello,

If you are trying to determine what caused the bsod you can go into Control Panel, click on Administrative Tools, click on Event Viewer and check Windows Logs.

Thanks!

#5 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,079 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

I suggest checking %systemroot%\minidump if you want to have a look at the actual crash dump files. Otherwise, Event Viewer is probably easier to use to analyse.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#6 Korkel

Korkel
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

Ok, and where do I find that? @above

#7 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,079 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

You need to open Computer (by clicking the windows logo > Computer), then you should see a long box at the top saying computer. Click it and copy "%systemroot%\minidump" (without quotes), press enter and you should see a file or files. These are your dump files for your bluescreen, but you will need a program to open them as they have the .dmp extension; Bluescreenviewer is one program you could use. If you need help then feel free to ask.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users