Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP pro won't boot/error msg 0F00 137B

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 macjabber

macjabber

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

Hi,

My computer is a Dell XPS 630 with Windows XP Pro SP 3, Intel Core 2, 3.00 ghz., BIOS 1.0.12.  Service Tag sticker 1F4YBG1

I was unable to boot up Windows receiving a blue screen stating Windows shutdown, check hard drive configuration, updated drivers... Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption.  Technical information: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8ab7ea30, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000)

- I have the Recovery Console installed but it wouldn't load, only giving me a blinking cursor.

- Trying to load from last good configuration resulted in blue screen, same error message.

- Trying to boot in safe mode also resulted in the same blue screen error immediately preceded by a black screen quickly scrolling which I couldn't read all of it but I did see "disk/partition/system 32/drivers/...

I ran the Dell Diagnostics test and received the Dell Error Code - 0F00 137B, CDRW1 Drive Media missing or blank.

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

Not very useful...when Dell provides a code with no clear explanation.

In any case...go to Device Manager, scroll down to Disk Drives...doubleclick.  You should now see the model number for your hard drive.  Post that info, please.

Louis

#3 macjabber

macjabber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

Hi Louis, 

I can't get into Windows at all to get to Device Manager.

#4 macjabber

macjabber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

Louis, 

I think I may have found it in the hard drive boot menu - wdc wd5000aaks-75A7B0

Dell's original configuration lists - Hard Drive, 500GB, S2, 7.2K Western Digital, XL320

I'm not sure if that will help.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

That works, thanks :).

Please read the Section 3 of the WD manual/instructions....before running the Data Lifeguard For DOS utility.  You want to run the extended test.

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Manual - http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/other/2779-701022.pdf

WD Support - Data Lifeguard For DOS - http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=613&sid=2&lang=en

Post the results of the diagnostic in your next post.  Running the diagnostic will not be a fast process...I have no idea how long it will take but my guess would be no more than 2 hours.

Louis

#6 macjabber

macjabber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

Hi Louis, 

Sorry for the delay in response.  It was a chore getting to internet access this last week and I was unable to create a CD to boot the Data Lifeguard For DOS to my PC.  I'm not sure what I was doing wrong.  At any rate, I did find my Re-installation CD for XP and was able to use it to run Chkdsk /f, which fixed the disk error and allowed me to boot up XP.  Is there any follow up I should perform or practices to follow after this problem?  Thank you for help.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

Chdksk /r is preferable to chkdsk /f...chkdsk /r includes a step whcih chkdsk /f does not.

I would still run the hard drive diagnostic.  Since it's a Dell system, I would run the online Dell Diagnostics at http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/Product/xps-630 .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users