Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel i7 2600k CPU overheating when idle. Failed CPU Temp Sensor?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 bfarmer

bfarmer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Hi, I use Isopropyl Alcohol for cleaning.

I would be suspicious that the the heat sink is not attached properly if One of the four pins does not go in as far as the others. In my Experience they always sit at the same point. Since You are going the Newegg route for the Arctic Silver, Why not order a new heatsink as well.

Notice that part of the heatsink at the bottom of the image with the arrow pointing to it. If one of those did not go through the hole in the motherboard the heatsink will not be seated properly. I have seen cases where one of the two halves went through the hole and the other one got bent over on top of the motherboard.

cooler-socket-1155-intel-e97378-001-2.jp

There is a possibilty that the CPU is running hot and has throttled back the speed to protect itself. I have seen Older Dells where the heatsink came loose, Dimension 2400 for example, and the computer would not even stay on long enough to finish the P.O.S.T. process.

The heat sink will not feel hot if it isn't attached properly.

Good Luck

Roger

I agree with Rotor123. Check that both sides of the pin clip (for lack of a better term) are through the hole. If the heat sink is cocked even slightly, it will overheat. Without the heat sink to cool it, it is possible to overheat in seconds, and melt down within a minute or two. I booted one without a heat sink once just to see. Put my finger on the CPU and booted, within seconds it was too hot to touch

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 UNC61

UNC61

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

If there was that much dust on the heat sink, it may be affecting the circuitry on the motherboard in the same area.  I have been working with Intel CPU's since 1986 and I do not recall a CPU that ever failed from "natural" causes.  Every heat sensing failure I have had has been associated with dust or other motherboard shorts.  If this is a CPU failure, I would say that Grinler once again comes up with an all-time first for me and that is why I follow this site.  8)

Sorry about the difficulties, sir.

UNC

#18 seulment

seulment

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

I am going to ask the basic question.. Have you tried a bios reset? Is the board overclocked? Maybe pull the battery and reset the cmos to see if that helps. Most overheating problems I have come across typically is the hardware but every once in a while the cmos reset allows me to get into the system to check it. Just my 2 cents. 

#19 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the help.

All the pins of the heatsink are through the holes. Just one of them is not pushed in as much where its fully locked. Going to run out and get a new heatsink and thermal paste as a first step. Cheaper than replacing a CPU.

Btw, while I was out for the past 2 hours, the pc was idling.

This is what Core Temp showed when I got back. Strange that it jumps so high literally on 2 seconds into boot from a cold start and then while idle shows this:

coretemp2.jpg

I am going to ask the basic question.. Have you tried a bios reset? Is the board overclocked? Maybe pull the battery and reset the cmos to see if that helps. Most overheating problems I have come across typically is the hardware but every once in a while the cmos reset allows me to get into the system to check it. Just my 2 cents.

I will give that a try as well.

#20 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

Hi,

Is there a possibility that there is something between the motherboard and the case preventing the one pin from going in all the way?

Or maybe that case is one of the ones that has raised metal for the motherboard to mount to?

This is not a big image but I think You can make out the raised metal I'm trying to describe.

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/what-is-a-removable-backplane.htm

Do You remember that case model? What is the Motherboard make and model?

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#21 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

I have a HAF922 and a P8P67 mobo. I have to retiterate, that this last pin issue has been like this for the past 2 years without an issue.

Running out and getting compound locally.  Getting the Antec Formula 7, which has good reviews online.  Also going to see if they have another heat sink, otherwise I will buy one from newegg for this week.

#22 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

As far as I can see in Post #19 from the Core Temp image it does appear that the Sensors are working. They show a range of temperatures from a low of 53centigrade to a max of 98centigrade and a current of 75Centigrade for core 0 and the other 3 cores are similar. This does suggest that it is a real heating issue and not a sensor failure.

I'm moderately familiar with the I7 2600, Non K version, as that was what I chose to us in my brothers computer when I built it for him a couple of years ago after a little research. Intel SSD boot drive of course and a less expensive ASUS motherboard since he doesn't Game.

That should be a good case too. I did choose a plain black case for my brothers build with one case fan in the back and it has run fine with no heating issues since.

One other slight possibility, very slight, Do you have a fancy Video card that could need either cleaning or a new GPU fan that could be adding heat to the case?

Closing thoughts, I suggest concentrating on the CPU cooling as the sensors appear to be working.

Also Just in case, Arctic Silver does take time to break in for maximum performance.

Good Luck with this problem

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#23 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

Just got the new thermal compound. Going to give it a try now and see if I can get that last pin to lock in.

#24 bfarmer

bfarmer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

Just got the new thermal compound. Going to give it a try now and see if I can get that last pin to lock in.

Getting that pin locked in completely is a must. I recommend pulling the MB, installing the heat shield/fan and then installing the MB. That way you can see from the back if it is locked completely, not to mention you can support the board while you press the pins in.

I always install the CPU, heatshield/fan and RAM before I install the MB into the case on my new builds.

#25 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

I cant see why the CPU would shoot up to 97 degrees the minute its turned on. This is right at the BIOS post stage. That's what leads me to believe its a sensor as I can see no reason for it to skyrocket that fast when just posting bios.

I also cannot see any reason for the temp to rise so quickly. Updating the BIOS (if possible) would be my first order of business (given all the info above). I have never seen a sensor go bad, but you can't rule that out either.

If everything you try is telling you the CPU is overheating in that short amount of time, then looking one step deeper is the only logical solution. BIOS, sensor (maybe), CPU itself by luck, or MOBO could cause that. I like the CPU Paste idea, but I'm not sure that's enough to cause the readings you are getting.

I'm not very adept at hardware troubleshooting, but that is my thought process anyway.

EDIT: Is there a way to check the temp of a CPU outside of windows??

Edited by bloopie, 14 September 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#26 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

Windows will go on whatever the bios reports to it. I have used an Infrared temp gun before to check temperatures but its not very accurate. I would also see if there is a bios update for your motherboard.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#27 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

Well it turns out it was either the heatsink loosened up some or not enough thermal compound.  I used the Antec Formula 7 on it, put the heatsink back on (still with one pin not all the way in), and now the temps look much better:

coretemp3.jpg

Personally, I think it was a mixture of the compound and the heat sink causing this issue.

Thanks everyone for your help! Really appreciate it.

I am going to order two new heat sinks this week. One to replace the crappy one i am using and another for my son's computer, whose heatsink I just broke during this whole process :(

Any recommend a good cpu cooler?

#28 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Hi, One stray thought, Since Yours is now working OK, Leave it alone and keep a spare Heat Sink just in case.

In the past the biggest problem with heat sink fan (HSF) Assemblies has been the fan bearings going bad. In my experience that happens much less with the Real Intel HSF assembly. However since You do have the 2600K why not go Watercooled?

Or watch out for HSF assemblies that have Ballbearings in the fan. They should hold up better than the sleeve bearing equipped fans.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#29 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Sorry I'm late to the conversation, but core i7 chips can get wicked hot fast. My laptop which has a desktop core i7 (don't ask why Lenovo did that) it can get so hot it warps the plastic vents, and on startup without thermal compound I've seen it shoot up to 110. (Error on my part, forgot to add it) but since then the cooling issue has been fixed for me. Just saying that core i7 chips get toasty.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#30 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

OK thanks for the info. Rotor, I am not against water cooling. I am just not that familiar with it. Are there any ones you recommend and are they really that superior to heat sink/fan setups? Are they any quieter or still need the fan to dissipate the heat?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users