Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Converted to RAW

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 geecee61

geecee61

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

I booted my PC oday to find my Buffalo 1TB external hard drive had converted my files to RAW
I am running Test Disk but on 64% I have gotten to following message through running(please see photo attached for screenshot of report).
I am not sure what to do from the point onwards,has anyone manage to retrieve their data when this has happened?
The second attached screenshot shows the final result of Test Disk report

Attached Files

Edited by geecee61, 14 September 2013 - 09:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

just a thought, but have you tried posting this in the virus malware forum?

#3 geecee61

geecee61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:39 PM

Is there something specific you see there that leads you to suggest that?..I run scans on a daily basis on both my PC hard drive and the external hard drive that has been converted to RAW and nothing untowards has cropped up.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

I'd say that you possibly have a bad hard drive...and should run the appropriate diagnostic on it.  The file system seems to be beyond the capabilities of TestDisk

I'd actually raise the questions you raise...in the TestDisk forum for confirmation of what I think or suggestions.

Louis

#5 geecee61

geecee61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

Thanks Hamluis, sadly the drive was my back up and was only 13 months old with little usage(my original drive disappeared in a suitcase 2 weeks ago courtesy of B.A after a flight from Sweden to London) I have about exhausted all avenues and repeatedly tried Test Disk,the thought of losing over 900gb of data is beyond painful and I have yet to find appropriate recovery software that will draw off the files with file names intact, considering there are over 4,500 albums alone(amongst the a huge amount of other data) it would leave the impossible task of renaming all 35,000+ single MP3 files in just this data section alone. I truly am at my wits end.

#6 geecee61

geecee61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:19 AM

Further to this..could it just be the an MBR issue??...if so could the likes of Knoppix fix this as if memory serves correct they have an option in their tools to restore/fix the master boot record.

Attached Files

Edited by geecee61, 16 September 2013 - 03:21 AM.

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:16 AM

Hi

I would first try Windows check disk before trying advanced tools like Testdisk. If the NFTS Master File Table is not corrupted, check disk will be able to repair the volume (at least you will be able to rescue data). Once you got the data back, run appropriate manufacturer's diagnostic tool to validate the drives health condition.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 16 September 2013 - 05:17 AM.

#8 geecee61

geecee61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

Thanks Anshad....I attempted to run Windows check disk as you suggested but it just say's Windows can not access the disk(as shown in picture attached)

could you please tell me by this and previous thumbnails what file system I have FAT32 or NTFS?

Attached Files

Edited by geecee61, 16 September 2013 - 06:04 AM.

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

Hi

Usually that message means the hard drive is failing. Try check disk from command prompt.

1. Boot to safe mode.

Since AV software etc won't work in safe mode, it is better to attempt this in safe mode (to reduce the number services and background programs trying to access the disk).

2. Open an elevated command prompt.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-elevated-command-prompt/

3. Assuming the volume is G: , enter CHKDSK G: /X /R

Depending on the amount of damage, it may take a long time to complete.

#10 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

This page is where I had the suspicion that you might have a virus :

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249550-45-convert-file-format-ntfs

I do concur with the others- it is probably a failing drive. I was hoping it wouldn't be that severe an issue :(

#11 geecee61

geecee61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

Again thank you Anshad...I will attempt this on returning home and get back to you when the scanning the G: drive is complete(or "if" this is made possible)

#12 geecee61

geecee61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

Ok thanks you guys I have manage to recover all my data, the hard drive has been reformatted and is working fine again, thank you to all who took the time to try and help me.

#13 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

Hi

Glad to hear that all data are salvaged. Since the issue might be an indication of a failing HDD, storing data without validating it's health will be suicidal. I strongly suggest running manufacturer's diagnostic utility first.

Also i would like to know how did you managed to recover data ?

#14 geecee61

geecee61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

Running WDs diagnostic "Data Lifeguard" extended test was my first task and it passed, so it seems that the drive is in fact fine.
I ended up using "iCare" recovery tool and got every single piece of data back, I now have backed up threefold, this includes on my new WD Sentinel DX4000 Nas, so I should not have this problem again.
Again all responses to this post were greatly received and appreciated...keep up the good work you guys are invaluable.....Graham Carlton

#15 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for the update. Hope you won't run in to a similar issue in future  :thumbup2:  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users