Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Not Respond To Anything

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mloo55

mloo55

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:53 PM

This pc has win98se and it is PIII 128k and belongs to my daughter. She mentionted me that she turned on the pc and all what she got is the screen with some little garbage where the cursor apperaed but the arrow of the mouse is not in view. I tried to start in safe mode and really it does not respond anything at all. How could I do to start al least in safe mode.
rgds
mloo55

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:23 PM

Can you do this?

Start>shutdown. Restart Ms-dos.
Type scanreg/restore at the prompt> hit enter> Select an older copy of the registry and reboot.

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:31 PM

Hi mloo55,

If bicycle bill's fix doesn't work, please list the exact error messages you have. Also give us any beep codes. Download Memtest86 and run it. It will run from diskette.

Good luck,

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 mloo55

mloo55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:14 PM

Hi huys
Tks fyr response, well I tried what both of you mentioned but nothing happens,unhappily in the back of the pc there is no leds so I can not tell somenthing abouth them. I switched on/off/on the same. any other suggestion
rgds
mloo55

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:48 PM

Let's try this again, but with more clear instructions:

Restart your computer. While it boots, start hitting the F8 key. When you get the boot menu, choose "Safe Mode Command Prompt Only."

When the computer is started, all you will see is a blank screen with a blinking cursor at the C: prompt, which looks like this:

C:\>

Type:

scanreg /restore

Make sure there's a space between the "g" and the "/"

Windows will scan the registry and give you five choices and tell you if they started. Pick one, maybe the second or third and Windows will install that copy of the registry. Remove the floppy disk and restart the computer when it's finished by pressing ctrl - alt - del.

Windows ME also has a system restore if you are able to access it from within ME while it's running.

#6 mloo55

mloo55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:09 PM

I turned on the pc and pressed the F8 key but nothing again,I repeated the process three times nothing, i download a start flopy disk in other pc then inserted in the bad pc and nothing.any helppls
mloo55

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:03 AM

Can you enter the BIOS? Usually F2 or F10. May sure the boot order is set, CD, floppy, hard drive. Then try to boot from you floppy start up disk again.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 mloo55

mloo55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:15 PM

ACKLAN
Just I did what you mentioned but no help, i am unable to enter into BIOS tapping F2 or F10,the only lite that is onafter turned on the pc is of the CD, Then all what i got are the simbols on the screen, I removed the mouse,keyboard each at the time and the problem continues. What else can i do?
rgds
mloo55

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:37 PM

Removing mouse and keyboard repeatedly while the system is running can do some serious damage.

To get into the BIOS at boot, press the Delete key repeatedly. If that doesn't work, how to get into BIOS usually shows up at the bottom of the screen while the computer is booting up. Right at the beginning.

#10 mloo55

mloo55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:24 PM

Happily I solved the problem: it was the battery,I replaced it and the pc is working normal
rgds
mloo55 :thumbsup:

#11 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 01:22 PM

Awesome mloo55,

Thanks for letting us know your fix.

rigel

Edited by rigel, 28 April 2006 - 01:24 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users