Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AVG reports IRP Hooks - false positives, or?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_teo17_*

Guest_teo17_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

I recently updated AVG Free Edition to version 2014. After the update I run a scan and AVG reported 22 IRP Hooks that it couldn't remove so I downloaded Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and run a scan and MB Anti-Malware found nothing. A few days after I run another scan (AVG) and it reported 40 IRP Hooks. So I downloaded Malwarebytes' Anti-Rootkit and run a scan but it found nothing. Another few days after I run a scan agan with AVG and it found 22 IRP Hooks. Are that false positives, or?

(I attached the reports. The Malwarebytes' reports are on Croatian, so use Google Translate.)

Attached Files

Edited by Orange Blossom, 14 September 2013 - 08:35 AM.
Moved to more appropriate forum from Windows XP. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:48 AM

Please download and run Belarc.

Scroll down to toward the bottom of the page where Software Versions and Usage is located.  

Please copy and past the list of software in your next post.  

What I'm about to post should not be taken personally, it is simply an explanation.

Since I do not have any idea what I'm downloading from links provided in topics I will not download these to my computer.  If you can copy and paste these logs in this topic, please do so.

Thank you for understanding. :)

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

I use AVG 2013 Free and had the  same  problem some months ago. See :-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/501439/avg-2013-free-reported-threats-how-do-we-handle-them/

It caused me a lot of anxiety and  could have caused me to wreck my computer, but I simply did not believe the report. MBAM and Emsisoft AM never picked up anything.

After a while, it all fizzled out like magic. I reran AVG some time later and it was  clear - no threats listed. All the hooks that it picked up originally were gone. AVG had obviously corrected their false positive errors.

Luckily no harm was done, but I will never trust AVG again when I  see any hooks listed and for anything  else that looks serious ? I will  run a quick check with MBAM, Emsisoft AM or SuperantiSpyware. If they  find nothing then it will be YET  another false positive tantrum thrown up by AVG.

Some years ago I had Comodo as my FW and AVG picked up all the Comodo files as hooks !

You may ask why I still have AVG as my online AV. The only reason I can come up with is SYMPATHY to a very old friend. Using Sandboxie, an AV is not too important, but advisable to have as a "sweeper".

Edited by yabbadoo, 14 September 2013 - 06:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users