Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC build for music production specs and discussion

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:50 AM

First time building a REAL desktop for some use instead of practice. Wanting to specialize the pc for music production. Nothing crazy, I'm just doing a few music programs and nothing like music engineering (for now) status since I'm still spending with a budget but at the same time make it awesome and worth it.

Here are some specs: Please feel free to make suggestions on the links I have chosen. Remember I really wanna learn from you guys whats best for music production, I chose these because of prices but i can probably make some changes

Case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197

MOBO:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131989

CPU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116898

RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104341

Windows 7 home Premium

HDD/SSD:

What is the best bang for my buck on a drive? I hear ssd's are amazing but the price is seriously crucial... I will try and make an effort but what would be the best HDD in terms of TB's? And for the heck of it what SSD should I look into if I'am able to buy it after all?

Sound Card:

Definitely need help on what could be best for my pc.

Power supply:

What is a trust-able vendor?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:46 AM

Hi, do you have a budget and can you specify the music software's that will be used?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

Umm trying not spend over 1,500. I'm only working with mixcraft for the moment which is not much of anything but I was thinking of getting FL studio (something you recommend?). Beat machines and mixers and good stuff like that will be included if that helps.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

Are you doing anything other than music production?  You could go for an AMD FX CPU given their multitasking capability, but I don't know if you even need that level.  You could also go for an APU-based based system, such as the AMD A10-6800K Richland 4.1GHz paired with the GIGABYTE GA-F2A85X-UP4 FM2 should offer good performance for what you are wanting.  The AMD APU's offer better graphics over the Intel offerings. 

You can also go for Windows 8 as it is a bit more efficient than Windows 7. 

You also need an optical drive.

As for storage, you have to choose what you want to use the SSD for.  Most people use the SSD for the operating system and a few most frequently used programs, while keeping a standard hard drive for everything else.  At a minimum, you should have a 120GB SSD, I suggest drives from Corsair, Mushkin, Samsung, or Intel.  Make sure you get one that is SATA 6 for best performance.  Keep in mind that many SSD's do not come with an adapter bracket, you may need to buy a cheap one to convert a 3.5-inch drive bay into one that can take an SSD.  As for a standard HDD, you just need one that offers the storage amount you need.

With the power supply, unless you are planning on gaming, you don't need a super powerful one.  A 600W unit should be more than enough.  The CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W is a solid, basic unit.

The "Core" of this system for you will be the audio card.  Given what you are doing, you will need a fairly high-end one.  I've always liked the Asus Xonar line.  Given how Creative works, I would never buy a SoundBlaster card.  Their business practices caused me to run away from Creative.  I would get the ASUS Xonar Essence ST or HT | OMEGA CLARO II as they both use C-Media chips and have a number of hookups.  I use an older Xonar D2X card and really like it.

3939.png

#5 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

Hey DJBPace07

So yeah it's all focused on music production but now that I think about it, I'm going to use adobe After Effects and Premiere since I do work on music videos. Other than that nothing else at all especially gaming. I have an Alienware laptop for that XD

And yeah the motherboard and cpu looks like to be a good fit, especially the price! But now that I mentioned the video editing, you think the AMD FX CPU should be more of a better fit? If so any suggestions on the motherboard?

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:42 AM

Hey DJBPace07

So yeah it's all focused on music production but now that I think about it, I'm going to use adobe After Effects and Premiere since I do work on music videos. Other than that nothing else at all especially gaming. I have an Alienware laptop for that XD

And yeah the motherboard and cpu looks like to be a good fit, especially the price! But now that I mentioned the video editing, you think the AMD FX CPU should be more of a better fit? If so any suggestions on the motherboard?

The AMD FX-8350 would be capable of handling video editing task but the list DJ provided needs to be modified.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:56 AM

To use an FX CPU, you would need to change out the motherboard, CPU, and get a graphics card.  FX does not have graphics capabilities on the CPU.  I originally didn't suggest it as adding the GPU does detract from the value proposition of FX in this case.  You aren't gaming, rendering, video encoding, or crunching scientific calculations, so the main draw for FX processors aren't there.  If you don't need lots of CPU power, the APU would have been a good fit.  However, there is a case to be made for future-proofing with going FX.

CPU:  AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz - $199

Motherboard:  MSI 970A-G43 AM3+ AMD 970 - $69

GPU:  SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6450 1GB - $34 (This GPU basic and not intended for gaming or anything really graphics intensive.  It is also fanless.)

Cooler (Optional):  XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 - $24 (You don't really need this, but the FX CPU's are known to get hot and the stock cooler, though decent, is rather loud.)

Edited by DJBPace07, 17 September 2013 - 05:57 AM.

3939.png

#8 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

Ok cool, so I decided to go with the APU based pc. You mind explaining how an APU based pc has it's benefits? I'd like to learn all this stuff =p oh and a liquid cooling system are more suited for high powered gaming systems correct? So I shouldn't even worry about that?

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

An APU-based system is essentially a standard x86 CPU with a graphics card integrated on the same PCB (Printed Circuit Board).  This means you will not need to add a discrete graphics card.  Because AMD purchased ATI several years ago, they integrated their technology into the CPU, this traditionally makes AMD more competitive with their graphics over Intel.  However, AMD's x86 portion of their APU is generally weaker than Intel's, but that shouldn't be a problem for most people.  Because of this, if you aren't a gamer, AMD's APU may be a better value, if you're a gamer or power user, their FX line is where you need to go.  There are rumblings that the APU will eventually replace the FX, but that may be a long time off as there is a reason why FX has greater performance over the APU.

With cooling, liquid is aimed more at overclockers with gamers and higher-end users favoring performance air cooling due to cost and hassle.  Standard mainstream users may go for higher performing coolers to keep noise down.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users