Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up protection for a new computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 goto

goto

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:49 AM

Hi,

Sorry in advance if this is the wrong place to ask, but I did not see anything about it. I've been trying to set up protection on a new computer (Windows 8, 64 bit), and could use some advice on if what I have will work effectively and how I can improve it. After reading many conflicting reviews, I have been hesitant to use any paid versions and find they were ineffective afterwards, however I would be willing to spend money for better protection assuming it would actually be a significant improvement. Currently I have:

avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497
SpywareBlaster 5.0
SpywareGuard 2.2
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300

Keyscrambler Personal 3.2.0.3
OpenDNS

For a firewall I am just using the windows firewall. I am also using firefox/chrome for browsing, and have added add-ons such as WOT/Webutation, noscript, adblock, and avast! online security.

I tried 2 3rd party firewalls (Tinywall and Online Shield) and had poor experiences with both, however if the basic windows firewall is not enough I would still be willing to try another. I'm also considering installing Sandboxie or VirtualBox for going to websites or using applications I'm not sure about, as well as DropMyRights for casual browsing.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mic84

mic84

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:12 AM

A security setting that you may find workable.

Malwarebytes Antimalware -A$24.99  +  A $9.95 for a cd in case you can not start your computer.

Set to auto update every 3-5 hrs
Select the run rootkit scan automatically after update.
Run scans manually

Avast Internet security - A$69.99

Set to auto-update
Has Save Zone Browser for banking, shopping etc.
Has a sandbox and the ability to run processes in a virtual environment.
Has a Firewall (disable not uninstall windows defender and firewall)
Has a web reputation feature and Ad Blocker that can be added to your browser.
Run scans manually.

Free Programs to add to paid option
WOT, Ghost, Adblock, Protection tracking sites[all are available as extensions to your browser].
Both programs work well together and with another prorgams. 
You should look at adding drive encryption, like bitlocker depending on your
operating systems features or turecrypt worth a $5.00 to  $10.00 donation or something. 
# Remember only have one scan running at a time.

Free only options - basically what you have got.

Avast or any of the top ten rated programs

MalwareBytes free.(right-click and 'run as' to update)
Run free Online scanners like Eset
Extensions : Wot, Ad Blocker, safe web protection lists, etc - Turecrypt

# Remember only have one scan running at a time.

Hope this is of some help.

Edited by mic84, 14 September 2013 - 07:17 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,886 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

You may want to read:
Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

My personal choice is ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-Virus is also a good choice if looking for a paid for program.

SpywareGuard is a limited real-time protection tool that monitors certain events and then acts to notify you that these events are taking place rather than prevent specific threats. SpywareGuard will notify you of any event attempt to change the browser Home Page - it makes no judgment on whether the change is good or bad but leaves the decision up to you to allow or deny it. SpywareGuard scans .exe and .cab files (the two most popular file types for distributing spyware) using Signature-based scanning for known spyware and Heuristic/generic detection capabilities to catch new or mutated spyware. A malicious file is blocked before being opened or run and the full path to its executable is provided on the alert screen. Once a spyware file is detected and blocked from running, the options are provided to either continue or to delete the file.

SpywareGuard's strongest protection is its Browser Hijacking Protection which does not require constant definition updates. (See Why is the most recent database update for SpywareGuard dated 2004?). This is because its detection abilities use a heuristic (rule-based) engine engine.

If you're using another security program (i.e. SUPERAntispyware (Home Page Protection), Norton Home Page Protection, Browser Sentinel, Spy Sweeper, WinPatrol, etc) that monitors attempted changes to your browser settings, then SpywareGuard will not be of much use. Even Javacool has admitted that SpywareGuard is essentially redundant to many other security tools and they have had it listed as temporarily unavailable for a long time now with a notation to try SpywareBlaster instead.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 goto

goto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

Hi,

Thank you for your replies! After reading those and doing some further research, I am planning on uninstalling SpywareGuard and avast! Free and getting Kaspersky ONE Universal Security (Kaspersky outperformed ESET and avast! on the AV testing sites I looked at) and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO, as well as HitmanPro as a secondary scanner. I also did not see anything against webcam hijacking, screengrabbers, and similar in the security software I have looked at, and so am considering getting a stronger anti-logger such as zemana antilogger or spyshelter premium. Before I make the purchases though I would just like to confirm that this software setup wont cause conflicts or have too many redundancies.

I'm also considering putting some anti theft software on it such as Prey, and I am wondering if the software I've listed would interfere with this.

Thanks!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,886 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

Kaspersky outperformed ESET and avast! on the AV testing sites I looked at

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.

#6 goto

goto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:52 PM

Kaspersky outperformed ESET and avast! on the AV testing sites I looked at

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.

The tests I looked at were on AV-Comparitives and AV-Test. AV-Comparatives tested in August, so I assume they had the most recent versions, while AV-Test was in February. I focused mostly on the results in protection, including the file detection test, malware removal test, and heuristic/behavior test (although I checked other rankings as well) on comparatives and the protection category on AV-Test. I did look over their testing procedures, however I have very little prior knowledge in this area and so their actual methods did not tell me much to help me make a decision. Seeing as Kaspersky was one of the two that you mentioned and performed very highly on the tests in the areas I value most (ESET seems to be lighter on the system but Kaspersky provides slightly better protection, from what I could see), I thought it would make a good choice. If there are further steps I should take researching them then I would be happy to do so. I have just had a difficult time figuring out how to do the research properly, because as you said, there doesn't seem to be a universal set of standards.

As for my other question, would the combination of kaspersky and malwarebytes paid along with something such as zemana and the software I mentioned in my first post work well together? Also, would they interefere with an anti-theft program like Prey?

Thanks!

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,886 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

As for my other question, would the combination of kaspersky and malwarebytes paid along with something such as zemana and the software I mentioned in my first post work well together? Also, would they interefere with an anti-theft program like Prey?

Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools addresses possible conflicts between the two.

I have never used Prey and don't know anyone who does. I checked their website and did not find any information or than using Prey with another anti-theft application. Sometimes you just have to experiment to see what works best for you.

#8 goto

goto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

Okay, thanks for your help!

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,886 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

You're welcome.

#10 beezilla

beezilla

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

This topic fits basically what I want to do but I'm not sure you want me to post here. At the moment I'm using an older laptop with Linux Mint, but my wife bought me a new one and I've only messed with Everquest 2 free to play on it possibly 4-5 times as I'm nervous since I had been hacked on a desktop Windows XP system a few years ago. I'll go into more detail soon but want to make sure you want me to use this thread or to start a new one to give the systems information and what I'm wanting to do with it. I've been on this site before and found really helpful information and helpful friendly people. Thanks in advance.

Beez

PS I work out of town and when I post more info soon, it will be with a hectic work schedule. Possibly might not be back on till the weekend.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,886 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

You can start your own topic.