Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My GPU is Freaking Out

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mrpenguin76

mrpenguin76

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:05 AM

I don't know if this is the proper place to put this, but here I go.

I have a Dell Latitude D820 with Windows XP and a NVS120m GPU. Recently, when I start up the PC, the "starting windows" screen has vertical lines and spazzes out slightly. On top of that, I can't install my GPU drivers or else it won't display anything at all. So for a while I've had to run windows with graphics drivers, hindering performance and things it's able to run. I don't know what's happening, maybe it's because it's 7 years old... but, any assistance is welcomed and thanked.

Edited by hamluis, 14 September 2013 - 09:16 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

Have you tried using an external monitor to make sure the problem is with the integrated graphics chip?

Before you install new Nvidia drivers you need to uninstall the other drivers first.

Download the new drivers, but do not install them yet.

First uninstall the old drivers in the Add or Remove programs in the control panel.

Make the graphics driver the last driver you uninstall.

After all the old drivers are uninstalled install the new drivers.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mrpenguin76

mrpenguin76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

I haven't tried using an external monitor (I don't have one) and I have tried fiddling with the gpu drivers. I had to wipe my pc entirely, and then when I tried installing gpu driver, it failed.

#4 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

Assuming this is a desktop, I'd try replacing the NVidea card with an ATI one. I've always found ATI to be more reliable than NVidea.

#5 mrpenguin76

mrpenguin76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

It's a laptop (Dell's Latitude D820).

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

Did you download the drivers from the Dell download website?

Try running the LCD Built-in Self-test (BIST).  

With the computer off press the D key while pressing the power button.

This will initiate A grey screen, then Red, then Blue, then Green then White, to allow you to inspect the entire LCD for color purity on each screen and to better identify defect such as cracks in the LCD or stuck pixels that may not be apparent in a normal viewing mode. 

You can view a video for this test here.

There is another test which if for resolving LCD lines, fuzzness, colors, or blurry issues.

There are clear and concise instructions for this test which can be found at this Dell website

Please run the and let us know what the outcome is.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users