Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet After Plugging In Cable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mack_Tech

Mack_Tech

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:15 PM

Hi all,

My boss is in Arizona and when he plugs in cable at his sister's place, he cannot get on the internet but she can. Is there some configuration he needs to do?

Any help would be great!
-----Mack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:11 PM

By "plugs in cable" are you saying he is trying to connect to a broadband modem, router, or ?

Is he rebooting the modem or router and then booting his computer?

Is this computer usually used by plugging a cable/dsl modem into its ethernet connection or does it usually use a modem connected to a regular phone line and a dialup ISP?

Has he tried the "New Connection" wizard in Win XP?

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 April 2006 - 07:13 PM.

#3 Mack_Tech

Mack_Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:36 PM

I just gave him a call. Where he is at, they are using COX Communications. He did not run the New Connection wizard yet and did not boot modem/router.

I thought he should be able to just plug in and go...?
-----Mack

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:27 PM

Is that cable? DSL? Locally, cable connections are usually pretty easy, but DSL needs a particular setup.

But if he's set up for a specific provider elsewhere, he may need to change some settings. If he's hooking up to a wireless router, he should be able to do a search for connections. If it's cable, he may have to tell the computer to automatically detect settings in Internet Options in the control panel.

If it's DSL or wireless, he may have to change settings to static instead of DHCP, and then use the settings provided by the ISP.

"Cox Communications" does not tell us anything about what specific kind of connection we're talking about. (Not me, anyway.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users