Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Need to Share Files Between 2 Win7 x64 Computers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JustNow

JustNow

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

I need to share files between my 2 Windows 7 x64 computers.

The 1st PC has internet. The 2nd PC has no internet. Just need to share files between both PCs.

I have a patch cable connected the 2 PCs, and both connections work properly as shown in the pics below.

However, I don't know how to set up Windows to share files.  

Let me know what other pics are needed. Thanks!

---------------------------

This is for my 1st PC:

I have 4 networking devices on PC#1. All 4 devices probably work. I just need one to do the job.

Attached File  Net1.jpg   19.51KB   6 downloads

I am using this PCI card that I bought because I could not get the other 3 devices to work with PC#2.

Attached File  Net1 Working.jpg   39.5KB   5 downloads

Network and Sharing Center - I use the internet on this 1st PC, but not on the 2nd PC.

Attached File  Net1 & Share.jpg   99.52KB   5 downloads

This is for my 2nd PC:

The top one is the motherboard's networking connection.

The bottom two show as not working because I can't get the drivers to work with a new PCIe card that I installed.

Attached File  Net2.jpg   13.52KB   3 downloads

This shows the working status of the motherboard's networking connection.

Attached File  Net2 Working.jpg   40.44KB   2 downloads

Network and Sharing Center - No internet on this 2nd PC - Just need to share files with 1st PC.

Attached File  Net2 & Sharing.jpg   100.35KB   2 downloads

Edited by JustNow, 13 September 2013 - 10:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

First of all, welcome to BC !

Simplest solution - connect Computer 2 to your router by ethernet cable, then add it to the network and set up file sharing.

Solution 2 - Install a USB wireless dongle on Computer 2, connect to the router, add the computer to the network, set up file sharing.

If you go for Solution2, wireless dongles are fairly cheap, about £UK 20 and upwards and you may also need a USB extension lead to mount it effectively. They can be very sensitive to location. I use a lead from the rear sockets on my tower and the dongle is mounted as far forward and as high on the case as I can get it. If it slips down by as little as 1/2 inch, I lose about 25% of the signal !  Depending on the dongle you choose, you may have the drivers already in Windows, or you may have to install them. All three of the ones I own came with install CDs.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 JustNow

JustNow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

And so I will seek help elsewhere. Goodbye BC.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:12 PM

I need to share files between my 2 Windows 7 x64 computers.

The 1st PC has internet. The 2nd PC has no internet. Just need to share files between both PCs.

I have a patch cable connected the 2 PCs, and both connections work properly as shown in the pics below.

However, I don't know how to set up Windows to share files.  

Let me know what other pics are needed. Thanks!

This is for my 1st PC:
I have 4 networking devices on PC#1. All 4 devices probably work. I just need one to do the job.
attachicon.gifNet1.jpg

I am using this PCI card that I bought because I could not get the other 3 devices to work with PC#2.
attachicon.gifNet1 Working.jpg

Network and Sharing Center - I use the internet on this 1st PC, but not on the 2nd PC.
attachicon.gifNet1 & Share.jpg

This is for my 2nd PC:
The top one is the motherboard's networking connection.
The bottom two show as not working because I can't get the drivers to work with a new PCIe card that I installed.
attachicon.gifNet2.jpg

This shows the working status of the motherboard's networking connection.
attachicon.gifNet2 Working.jpg

Network and Sharing Center - No internet on this 2nd PC - Just need to share files with 1st PC.
attachicon.gifNet2 & Sharing.jpg

I believe you will need to turn on Internet Connection Sharing. Since computer #1 is connected to the Internet, it is likely "focusing" (so to speak) on that network connection and cannot then deal with the other computer trying to connect to it through ethernet. In other words, it cannot handle the two network connections at the same time. ICS should get past this hurdle. It essentially turns your first computer into a router. It should then allow you to share folders, etc. It will also give the second computer Internet access (that is the real purpose of ICS).

The other thing is that there is a reasonable chance that a typical patch cable will not work. You will likely need a crossover network cable. Some newer computers have ethernet adapters that will "autosense" whether a crossover is need and do that crossover in the network adapter. But, older computers and even some newer computers cannot do that and need a physical crossover cable.

If you don't know why you need a crossover cable/adapter, then think of a phone connection. When you talk into the mic on your phone, the other person hears you on speaker of their phone and vice versa. That effect is a "crossover" effect...i.e. your mic "crosses over" to their speaker. If you connect two computers together, you need the network "mic" (so to speak) of computer #1 to "speak" to computer #2's "speaker" and vice versa. A regular network cable that connects two computers without autosensing adapters will have computer #1's "mic" wanting to "speak" to computer #2's "mic" not its "speaker". That is where the crossover cable comes into play. If you already knew all this, then I apologize for wasting the electrons. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users