Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

one thing after another! (no start-up)...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

So, im fighting my wifes connection issues, then MY laptop gets a busted screen from airport security (i didnt know until it was way after the fact) so after ordering a new screen (i had to take it out to get the part number) my laptop wont go beyond the "DELL" (in a circle logo) on a black screen...

sometimes it will go completely black, sometimes it will just sit there.  i was working with an "added" CRT which was an entirely different aspect ratio and i THOUGHT i was downloading a windows update.  it certainly looked like one...

it was working yesterday intermittently so i left it turned on last night.  i got up this morning and it looked like it had restarted because it was back on the DELL logo screen...

i havent any idea if i have a boot disk.  the computer is close to 2 years old and im starting to get pretty frustated!

luckily (i guess) i partioned my hard drive when i first got it so im assuming i can still get my files off the hard drive somehow (should i decide to just replace it?

its a Dell Inspiron 1505.  ive been hitting the F2, F10, F11 and F12 keys trying to get the boot options page to come up but no luck.

where do i go from here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavidBetournay

DavidBetournay

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

Which components were disconnected/reconnected in the process of replacing the screen? Was it pretty much a simple "remove the keyboard and a bezel" to get the screen off?

If you press F1 can you enter the BIOS, or are no keys doing anything? Sometimes pressing TAB will remove the logo screen and show a readout of what the last thing it initialized was. You may want to try an external USB keyboard - perhaps the keyboard connector is not inserted properly - a lot of computers will halt if no keyboard is detected on startup.

- David Betournay

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

Please try the above method First, and this Second.

Basically a Factory Restore (directions from DELL) -

* If your operating system is VISTA / Win 7, tap F8 key when/as you see the Dell logo.

*It will take you to advanced boot menu options under which you will see Repair your Computer, Select that option and enter your password if it asked, then you will be seeing list of options like system restore, command prompt, etc., In that the last option says Dell PC restore (or some thing like that).

Select that option and follow the screens .. Thats it.

* Start the computer.
* As the computer starts, press the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.
* Press the (Down Arrow) to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press Enter.
* Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.
* Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
* In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.
* Click to select the check box for Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition.
* Click Next. The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.
* When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer. 

This is the Link to Directions

If that will not work, call DELL and ask for Recovery Media (DVDs) for your version -

Not sure of the current cost -

Edited by noknojon, 13 September 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#4 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:23 AM

Which components were disconnected/reconnected in the process of replacing the screen? Was it pretty much a simple "remove the keyboard and a bezel" to get the screen off?

Yes. I popped off the bezel, removed 6 (?) Screws unplugged the screen to be able to turn it around for the part number and that's it...

I hooked an older CRT to it to do some work and it was giving me a beeping alarm, I assume because there wasn't a LAPTOP screen being detected. I plugged that back in and was able to do the screen image transfer (from laptop screen to CRT) and I was working with it on Thursday. It took me a couple of tries to get it going then but it did run...

I thought it had a couple of Windows Updates so I downloaded them and I specifically left the computer on that night so I wouldn't have start up issues again and I couldn't get to a better workplace. I no longer have a desk available...

When I got up yesterday morning the computer had restarted itself I think. I left it with no programs running and on the CRT. when I got up it had the DELL logo screen on the laptop.....

Ill try to start it in safe mode but if no go, how difficult is it to mirror that hard drive to a new computer? It has a lot of work on it I can't afford to lose...

I had what looked like some Windows Updates and

If you press F1 can you enter the BIOS, or are no keys doing anything? Sometimes pressing TAB will remove the logo screen and show a readout of what the last thing it initialized was. You may want to try an external USB keyboard - perhaps the keyboard connector is not inserted properly - a lot of computers will halt if no keyboard is detected on startup.

- David Betournay

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

If you do the Dell PC restore you will lose all of your data, it will return the operating system to the condition it came out of the box.

Since you do have a second partition which you have saved your data on you can recover it by using an external enclosure connected to your wife's computer via USB.

SABRENT EC-UST25 Aluminum 2.5" USB2.0 to SATA External Enclosure - Newegg.com

You can also do a repair installation, this is called a in-place upgrade in Windows 7.  This will not affect your data.

You can find a tutorial for this here.

You can download a legal ISO image which you can burn to a DVD from here.

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 DavidBetournay

DavidBetournay

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

I would check for another reason for their to have been a beeping alarm. Often there is a CPU fan connector within close vicinity to where the LCD cabling is. THAT "should" cause an alert when disconnected - even if just stopping on the "Dell" screen.

I think I actually have the "guts" of a 1505 in the basement that I've run without an LCD without any alarm. Strange coincidence.

Anyhow, if it is stuck on the logo screen it is unlikely that you need to "Do a restore" / Reinstall Windows - it is more likely that you have a system issue.

dc3's posting regarding the use of an external USB enclosure is your best bet for getting at your files. Alternatively, if your laptop uses Windows Vista/7/8 you can install the drive into her computer and boot Windows from your drive. Bear in mind though that it may fail to boot, mainly due to differences in a hard disk controller settings. It is easier on a Desktop computer since you can either change those settings and boot your copy of Windows, or, install your disk as a second disk in the system without the use of an external drive bay.

The point of booting from your own hard drive is that you can use Windows Easy Transfer to export your user account and data. Then you would import the user account on a different computer and install all of your software.... and you are mostly back to normal.

If you do access your drive from someone else's copy of Windows you will generally need to Take Ownership of the folders in which your data is stored in order to gain access. If you come across this issue go here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/507636/cannot-save-in-c-drive-a-required-privilege-is-not-held-by-the-client/#entry3157066

- David Betournay

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

Alternatively, if your laptop uses Windows Vista/7/8 you can install the drive into her computer and boot Windows from your drive.

I would strongly suggest that you not install your hdd in your wife's computer and try to boot from it.

When you take a hdd with a Windows operating system installed from the computer it was originally installed on and install it in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here.

Moving a hard drive with Windows already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you change your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error.

Edited by dc3, 14 September 2013 - 10:07 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 DavidBetournay

DavidBetournay

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

dc3: There are no "major problems" as you suggest, a simple bluscreen for a single setting - which is also exactly what your post states. Additionally, the issue was addressed in my previous posting regarding the mode of the hard disk contoller. (The reason it may fail to boot. If it did fail to boot he could have stated it, since none of this typing is necessary unless the following is true: ie: If the Windows installation is trying to boot with an AHCI driver and the hard disk controller is set by the bios to a different mode such as IDE compatability mode it will bluescreen; the inverse is also true.

For advanced situations it is easily possible to modify the registry setting from the recovery console when the bios does not have an option for changing the SATA controller mode. This is necessary with many laptops and oem machines with stripped-down bioses if the mode is different between the two machines.

Nothing to be worried about, just a simple, single setting luckily.

P.S. Intel is actually a major cause of these bluescreens because their driver setup is not so good. For example, if you install your OS in IDE compatability mode and wish to enable AHCI Intel will not allow the driver to install. I guess they assume the installer to be too ignorant to understand what they are doing. Luckily on Windows 6.x there is a builtin AHCI driver. XP users are not so lucky.

David Betournay

Edited by DavidBetournay, 14 September 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#9 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

well i dont know if it was a friday the 13th thing, excess fatigue (just got home from euro vacation with family) or what but i put the new screen in today (came in the mail) and all is well...

it booted up with no apparent issues, and ive been looking at the photos i took on vacation but couldnt see very well because of the broken screen...

running malwarebytes now just because and apparently windows did download some updates and installed them (mostly security it looked like) and im not as stressed anymore!

while i didnt need to do anything that was suggested i certainly appreciate everyone's thoughts on this!

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:48 PM

itdave,  I'm glad that the issue seems to have resolved itself.  I hope it stays this way. :thumbup2:

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

dc3: There are no "major problems" as you suggest,

What I addressed was the fact that if you take a hdd with a Windows operating system that has been installed on one computer and install this hdd in another computer as an operating system it very well may fail to load.  I would suggest that you read both the Intel and the Microsoft articles which can be accessed via the links I provided in post #7.

#12 DavidBetournay

DavidBetournay

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

Yes, I reviewed your link to the Intel Customer Support homepage and your link about Windows XP - however, this is a Windows 6.1 forum, not 5.1. Things are a little different in that Windows 6.x comes with more drivers - so when you get that Blue Screen there is often a single setting that can be changed and the system will boot successfully. It is a non-issue.

- David Betournay

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

<<....so when you get that Blue Screen there is often a single setting that can be changed and the system will boot successfully. It is a non-issue.>>

It's a non-issue only if users don't try it, IMO.  I've never heard of a single setting in Win 7 that will facilitiate illegal installs by having a hard drive with drivers and settings from one system...easily moved to another totally different system.  Seems highly unlikely that Microsoft would facilitate such.

The fact that the driver cache for Win 7 is more recent and larger than that for previous versions of Windows...is of no import, IMO.  The Windows activation process along with the inappropriate drivers/settings...will provoke dysfunctional behavior, as fully intended by Microsoft.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users