Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2007 PC, upgrade with 100 budget.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MoltenMizzium

MoltenMizzium

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm still using my Dad's old PC from back in 2007 I believe, back then it was great.. But now, haha not so much!

These are my current specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/EueDUltSADjtqaHVPjVHbQq

I have a £100 budget, what I would like to achieve out of this upgrade is for certain programs to run quicker.. mainly..

Inkscape (Vector Graphics)
Photoshop

Illustrator

2D Particle Engine

Anime Studio Pro (Animation Software)

My main lag is with inkscape, when I have lots of vectors up, it can seriously lag, under 1fps easily when it gets intense.

However I read that inkscape doesn't utilise the GPU at all.

This isn't really for gaming, it's for my programming/graphics/animation/composing/testing/simulating etc

I know £100 isn't a lot but it's all I got atm.

Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

You cannot move into the future...using yesteryear's hardware :).

System runs XP with 4GB of RAM...if you want faster, you will probably have to use linux or upgrade the motherboard, RAM, and CPU.

I don't see anything that you do that really commands a better system...few apps, none of the usually tiresome nonsense that some users install...with 4GB of RAM that system should be more than adequate for what you (or I) do.

The biggest liability I see is the RAM/CPU combination...lots of improvements have been made since 2007.

For what you would expend on the fastest Intel CPU supported by that board...I could buy a decent board, an AMD CPU that exceeds/equals the output of the Intel socket 775 processor...and 8GB of faster RAM. 

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 October 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#3 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

You can get both these upgrades for less than 100 bucks if you shop wisely:

Upgrade your CPU to an E7600. See performance comparison here:

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/388/Intel_Core_2_Duo_E7600_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_E2180.html

Upgrade your GS8400 to an ATI 5450 or better ( I had the 8400 and did not like it at all). See performance comparison here:

http://www.hwcompare.com/447/geforce-8400-gs-512mb-vs-radeon-hd-5450/

Shop wisely and good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users