Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 2000 - Suspend To Disk Error (phdisk.exe)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kickehy

kickehy

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 04:35 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop that I just recently installed Windows 2000 on. I completely wiped the hard drive for a fresh installation (tons of spyware and other things). In doing so, I assume, that the suspend to disk file was deleted. I get this fun error when I tried installing the phdisk.exe from dell (I know it only says it's for 98 and NT but I thought I'd give it a shot):

"An application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported. This may cause the application to function incorrectly."

And now, of course, I can't get out of suspend mode when it goes into it. Is there any way I can solve this problem?

Thanks,
kickehy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:41 PM

It's been a little while since I had W2k but I believe there's a compatability mode that can be used to run programs that were written for W98 and W95.

Try it.
How To Enable Application Compatibility-Mode Technology in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q279792/

#3 kickehy

kickehy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:06 AM

Well, it was a good thought, but the compatability mode worked on every shortcut except the phdisk one. I even tried creating a shortcut to the file myself and it still wouldn't let me use the compatability mode (i.e. the tab was in the properties window). No luck with that :thumbsup: Any other ideas on how to fix it or should I just ask dell...even though their tech support is a PAIN to get through.

Thanks,
Kickehy

#4 jwilhoit

jwilhoit

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:57 AM

Hey there -

Delayed question to your 2006 posted message....

Did you ever resolve this issue? I have an old Inspiron 7500 and have the EXACT same issue. What'd you do?

~Jack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users